Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Main Discussion Area > Member Rides

Member Rides Each member can create their own thread and use it to display a time line of their rides mod progress throughout the years.

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 10-13-2015, 06:13 PM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 16988

Reputation Level: 0
Sodee is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Sodee's 2004 "Maxwell"

Hello everyone..

I've been a lurker for some time on this site, but I decided to go ahead and make a profile and start posting since i now I own a Maxima. I sorta fell into this car after the previous owner found a mysterious black fluid in her overflow reservoir. She wrote it off as a blown head gasket and gave me the option of tearing it apart / messing with it as a project, otherwise, it would be recycled for scrap. I figured why not, especially since I was tired of shifting gears ( and it was grey ) so here I am..

Needless to say, he's been around the block a few times..
Click the image to open in full size.

Here are some other random pics of the car. Apparently its an early model 04 with the Elite package and 4 speed transmission..

After investigating a bit, I realized that the radiator had failed and that transmission fluid had mixed with the antifreeze. Luckily, the car was not run long after this happened so no significant damage was done, so I replaced the radiator and now Im replacing the motor.. I purchased a 70K milage off eBay and have begun the process of tearing it down to replace the tensioners, water pump and guides. Here is where I am currently:

I was almost done with the hardest part of the job when the rightt bank intake cam moved a bit. I'm going to make a thread about it, but I have to make sure everything is lined back up before trying to put it back together and rotating it by hand. I DEFINITELY tip my hat to those that have done this job before...

But at any rate, just wanted to say hello!
Sodee is offline   Send a private message to Sodee Find more posts by Sodee Add Sodee to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-13-2015, 06:17 PM   Thread Starter #2

Default Re: Sodee's 2004 "Maxwell"

.. and forgot to mention my plans lol. It'll be on DD status but I do plan on doing a few things to it:

Bluetooth using the stock Bose system ( for now ) using the writeup from here
GPS / info screen relocation, 7" monitor up top
G37 Coupe 19's
Still deciding between full coils or just springs
Cmod ( or replica ) grill
exhaust replacement from primary cats back
tint, etc
Sodee is offline   Send a private message to Sodee Find more posts by Sodee Add Sodee to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-13-2015, 06:21 PM   #3
Reputable Member

Official Member #: 6257

Reputation Level: 11
sprocketser is an unknown quantity at this point

That will be a great project mate , an Elite also . Love these . Wish I could scored a clean one when I was in the market for a replacement , checked one but it was way too bad to fix .
Newest ride , 05 Smoke Met M/T SER Altima,NismoCAI/CatBack , Dynomax Resonator OBX Headers , RacingLine FSTB& BTD tbi, RedLionRacing Shifter Bushings tbi , EBC RedStuff Pads/ 06 350Z Base Rear Brakes/EBC Rotors , H&R springs & Triple C Camber Bolts tbi , RP MaxATF psf , Motul Brake fluids & clutch fluids , LiquiMoly Motor oil/Wix Filter , Pennzoil Synth Gear Oil , Wix cab filter , Interstate Battery , Michelin Pilot A/S+ ,
sprocketser is offline   Send a private message to sprocketser Find more posts by sprocketser Add sprocketser to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-13-2015, 06:26 PM   Thread Starter #4

Originally Posted by sprocketser View Post
That will be a great project mate , an Elite also . Love these . Wish I could scored a clean one when I was in the market for a replacement , checked one but it was way too bad to fix .
Yeah, aside from the cracked windshield, the body and interior on this car is immaculate. I can tell it was very well taken care of. From what I am reading, this car is really only having the standard issues plagued by this model so I figured it was worth a shot to fix it for under $1500 ( Tensioner / guide issues, cat failure )
Old 10-13-2015, 06:37 PM   #5
Reputable Member

That s a great price .

I would put in some OEM timing chain parts in there , don t go with ebay stuff , some had to redo the job .

I would put in some headers also , you don t want the cats to break & send in some sh!t into the engine .

It s only an opinion , you can do whatever that you want .
Newest ride , 05 Smoke Met M/T SER Altima,NismoCAI/CatBack , Dynomax Resonator OBX Headers , RacingLine FSTB& BTD tbi, RedLionRacing Shifter Bushings tbi , EBC RedStuff Pads/ 06 350Z Base Rear Brakes/EBC Rotors , H&R springs & Triple C Camber Bolts tbi , RP MaxATF psf , Motul Brake fluids & clutch fluids , LiquiMoly Motor oil/Wix Filter , Pennzoil Synth Gear Oil , Wix cab filter , Interstate Battery , Michelin Pilot A/S+ ,
sprocketser is offline   Send a private message to sprocketser Find more posts by sprocketser Add sprocketser to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-13-2015, 06:42 PM   #6
Reputable Member

Will check it out progresses for sure !
Old 10-13-2015, 06:44 PM   Thread Starter #7

That s a great price .

I would put in some OEM timing chain parts in there , don t go with ebay stuff , some had to redo the job .

I would put in some headers also , you don t want the cats to break & send in some sh!t into the engine .

It s only an opinion , you can do whatever that you want .
Yeah, everything going on the inside of the motor is OEM. I dont really feel like dealing with fitment issues, or with any problems. This job is hard enough to do the first time, Id hate to have to take this apart to do it again..

Im considering the headers, I just dont want the "drone" of aftermarket exhaust. I want the car to be as quiet, or close as possible to how it is from the factory.
Old 10-13-2015, 06:47 PM   #8
Reputable Member

Originally Posted by Sodee View Post
Yeah, everything going on the inside of the motor is OEM. I dont really feel like dealing with fitment issues, or with any problems. This job is hard enough to do the first time, Id hate to have to take this apart to do it again..

Im considering the headers, I just dont want the "drone" of aftermarket exhaust. I want the car to be as quiet, or close as possible to how it is from the factory.
Understand both points .
Old 10-13-2015, 06:48 PM   #9
Reputable Member

I see a Z in the background , is that yours also !
Old 12-31-2015, 01:44 AM   Thread Starter #10

I see a Z in the background , is that yours also !
A little late but it sure is lol.. Its virtually the same car just with no back seat and better suspension.. and a 6 speed trans

So for those that have checked out this thread, I have a few updates.. Ill post them in a few mins...
sprocketser (01-15-2016)
Old 12-31-2015, 02:50 AM   Thread Starter #11

So here's the update..

Since the last set of posts, I made some progress... The timing chains are back on, with no interference. Since the new motor I purchased was a 5 speed motor, and the car originally had a 4 speed in it, I had to swap out the upper and lower oil pans so that the motor can bolt up to the transmission. While waiting for parts, I ordered a lip for the front bumper.. I dont know if i like it yet, but Ill keep it on for now..

Then we got to this..

and this..

Ignore my Civic in the background lol..
sprocketser (01-15-2016)
Old 12-31-2015, 03:36 AM   Thread Starter #12

..and while I was at it I thought to myself.. This Bose CD player was probably decent 10 years ago but now? Ehhhhh.. So I looked for an alternative. I like Android and all it has to offer sooo I decided to embark on another interior project. I looked around for a Nexus 7, which has a GPS sensor in it ( even the wifi version ) and added a few goodies. So far, I have added:

4 Channel 1000 Watt Amp
SoundBot S360 Bluetooth Car Kit
Behringer UCA202 DAC
Pyramid NS21 Noise Suppressor
Amazon Basics 4 port USB hub
Anker USB Card reader 8 in 1 ( for my 200GB micro SD memory card )
4 Component speakers ( since the Bose units need to be replaced )
and 15 ft RCA and USB extensions to reach the trunk

Here is most of it put together in a homemade holder I made from scrap in my shed

That's all I have for now, so stay tuned. I have a few other things I want to add in the mix...
Old 12-31-2015, 05:21 PM   #13

Official Member #: 1

Reputation Level: 20
EddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to behold

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Visit EddyMaxx's Facebook Visit EddyMaxx's PS3 Profile Visit EddyMaxx's YouTube

Very nice! Where are you located?

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
EddyMaxx is offline   Send a private message to EddyMaxx Find more posts by EddyMaxx Add EddyMaxx to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2016, 11:13 AM   #14
Official Member

Official Member #: 15981

Reputation Level: 5
Travieso is an unknown quantity at this point

nice project. i have an android radio myself. its great!.
Travieso is offline   Send a private message to Travieso Find more posts by Travieso Add Travieso to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2016, 09:42 PM   Thread Starter #15

Originally Posted by EddyMaxx View Post
Very nice! Where are you located?
Thanks! Im actually in Alabama
Old 01-04-2016, 09:43 PM   Thread Starter #16

Originally Posted by Travieso View Post
nice project. i have an android radio myself. its great!.
Yes! From what I was seeing on other sites and Youtube, the possibilities are endless with this tablet so I had to try it out for myself..
Old 01-15-2016, 02:28 PM   #17
Reputable Member

Thanx for the updates .
Old 03-09-2016, 02:01 PM   Thread Starter #18

Sooo, its been a bit, but I do have some updates to add.... Including new wheels
Old 03-10-2016, 12:06 PM   Thread Starter #19

So I was looking for some LM style wheels in 20" but ran across these. A 12 hour round trip and $600 later, I was the new owner of these Rays 2x8GT's in 19 x 9.5. I was iffy on getting them because I was set on 20" wheels to close the wheel gap but knowing what they're worth and the weight of these things ( 21 lbs ), I had to grab them... So I'll roll around on these for a while, and probably get something else later.

The wheel gap with the front wheels has always really bothered me.. A lot.. These cars are kinda different in that you cant really lower them too much or you'll run into a lot of issues with drive angles ( axle problems ). I considered going with coilovers but honestly didnt want to put that kind of money into the car right now so I went with some Tein S. Techs.

Before:

After:

Last edited by Sodee; 03-10-2016 at 12:32 PM.
Old 03-10-2016, 12:30 PM   Thread Starter #20

Last I posted, I had the motor up in the air. Dont know how many people have pulled motors out of these cars but apparently, its not supposed to be done from the top. Ideally, its supposed to be dropped out the bottom. I dont really have a lift so that wasnt an option so I had to pull it out of the top.. Honestly its a pretty big pain in the ass, but even worse is getting the thing back in there. I had to twist the motor back into place smh.. I also gutted the cats, and used o2 spacers to try to get around the issue these cars have with cats and throwing codes. We will see how that works ( Mine are like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/O2-oxygen-se...9U1a5N&vxp=mtr )

and..

In retrospect, there are a few things I would have done differently..
1) I wouldnt have disconnected the TB.. I am pretty sure Im going to have to do the relearn for the idle because I did
2) Take more pictures - This is KEY. I took quite a few, but I would have taken pictures like I was doing a writeup because when putting things back together it makes it easier
3) Did much better about labeling everything - I put the entire motor / accessories in plastic bags but make sure you know the name of everything so you can label it correctly for installation later
4) Put the Torque Converter bolts in before the motor goes in and before putting in spark plugs - This is one of the things keeping me from turning it over now.. Spark plugs keep compression so you cant really rotate the motor easily to be able to put in all 4 bolts that hold things together between the motor and the trans.
Old 03-10-2016, 03:10 PM   #21
Official Member

Official Member #: 15981

Reputation Level: 5
Travieso is an unknown quantity at this point

dam, serious project. At least now you know how it's done. Good info for future motor swap projects.
Travieso is offline   Send a private message to Travieso Find more posts by Travieso Add Travieso to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-15-2016, 07:46 PM   Thread Starter #22

Originally Posted by Travieso View Post
dam, serious project. At least now you know how it's done. Good info for future motor swap projects.
Yeah, really. Originally, I thought that I would be just replacing the radiator and that would be it.. Turned into a full motor swap project PLUS some
Old 03-18-2016, 07:20 PM   Thread Starter #23

So I turned the key to get the starter to bump the flywheel around to put in the other 3 flywheel / TC bolts and nothing.. I heard the starter engage, and even heard it spinning but it didnt touch the flywheel. So to me, that's telling me that the flywheel is too close to the motor ( which doesnt really make sense, since its bolted to the crank, meaning no real way that can be it ) or the starter is too far away ( which doesnt make sense because with everything bolted up and torqued, it shouldnt be any different than it was before ).

With the wheels rotating while the car is in park, Im guessing something else is up so I may be tearing this thing back apart to separate the transmission from the engine. Sucks, but it'll be easier this time around since Ive done it once. Im going to pull the starter off and get it tested, not really so that I can know whether its good or not, but to make sure the bendix is doing what its supposed to. I cant remember if it actually moves out like other cars but we shall see when I get it tested
Old 03-30-2016, 10:36 AM   #24
Premier Member

Official Member #: 300

Reputation Level: 22
PetitFrereMaxima will become famous soon enoughPetitFrereMaxima will become famous soon enough

Participation Level: 67%
Activity: 67% Activity: 67% Activity: 67%

My Awards:

/ Point Value: 5

Wow, is all I can say. Keep up the hard work. I hope it all comes back together well.

My BUILD/MAINTENANCE thread. Aiming for 250K on odometer.
http://my6thgen.org/f13/emiles-petitfreremaxima-17985/ ... CATCH ME IF YOU CAN
http://www.clubarmada.com/forums/sho...=24056&page=39 ... KING OF THE ROAD
PetitFrereMaxima is offline   Send a private message to PetitFrereMaxima Find more posts by PetitFrereMaxima Add PetitFrereMaxima to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top