Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Main Discussion Area > 04-08 General Discussion

04-08 General Discussion Discussion of new mods, advice, new ideas and new products for 2004-2008 6thgens.

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:11 AM   Thread Starter #1
Official Member
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 3069

Reputation Level: 11
byrothapyro is on a distinguished road

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Few Complex Issues. Input/Advice Needed.

Good morning everybody! I am here today seeking some input and advice for an issue that I have been having recently that myself and multiple mechanics are having trouble pinpointing. As much as I love playing "guess-and-replace", my wallet doesnt quite support that method. And when mechanics can't figure out what the problem is exactly, they like to play that game too apparently.

I recently purchased a Nismo CAI off of a fellow member on here, and its awesome. However, since I have had it, I am addicted to the sound it makes. And my newfound increase in pickup. I dont care what you say I CERTAINLY feel a difference lol. So as much as it pains me to say it, i MAY have been beating on Maxine a little bit :/ Nothing crazy, though. Thia may or may not have contributed to my problem... i dont know.

What is happening:

1. On a cold start, my car doesnt "crank" over, it moreso "grinds" over. Its a bad noise, but only on an overnight cold start. The rest of the day it will sound fine when starting. However, EVERY time it starts it is noticably very rough as in the car shakes and just does not feel right. Or stalls...

2. When I let of the gas pedal while driving, it feels like i am braking gently. Obviously I am not. Almost similar to the feeling of letting off the gas in a standard. This occurs all the time, and is not exclusive to highway, city, slow speed etc.

3. If the engine is on and I am not driving (Park or neutral) and I give it a good rev (over 4k), on the falldown, it goes to about 100rmp, 100, not 1000, and the car shakes like a bastard and almost stalls. Then it seems to correct itself. This is the only time this happens. Otherwise, the rpms are right where they should be at idle.

4. Engine on and not driving, if i give it a rev, it doesnt matter how hard, as the revs come back down, a little over 1k there is a loud squeak noise. This has been ID'd as coming from the throttle body and I am being told it's normal. I disagree. Thoughts?

5. She is idling very rough. to the point where when I am stopped, I can feel it in the brake pedal and steering wheel. Just replaced front motor mount, but it did this before that. It was time, anyway.Thought the mount may fix. Nope. It almost feels like a tiny tiny misfire. **NOTE: Idle is right at about 700rpm

6. Very noticeable loss in power. Its like my car got neutered. Anybody else thinks I am crazy and that shes still fast as sh*t and very powerful, which it is, but ME, the person driving it 100+ miles a day, notices a significant loss in power.

All the problems started at the same time, so I am assuming they're related. I have replaced the spark plugs because my mechanic was SURE that was the problem. Guess he wasnt sure enough, lol. Brand new battery yesterday. & Like I said i replaced the front mount. I have no SES, and just did a fresh oil change, tranny D&F, and coolant system flush and replace. The problem was happening before all this work, and still continues even after. Failing crank sensor? Maybe? Which one? Are there tests? Wouldnt there definitely be an SES?

Any and all input, thoughts,advice, and suggestions would be greatly appreciated here guys I mean... where else do i have to turn in my times of desperation with my Maxima? And dont say the dealer because I am allergic to those

Posted Via Tapatalk2

Last edited by byrothapyro; 01-12-2013 at 01:26 PM.
byrothapyro is offline   Send a private message to byrothapyro Find more posts by byrothapyro Add byrothapyro to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2013, 10:54 AM   #2
Senior Moderator
The Capital's 6th Gen

Official Member #: 1765

Reputation Level: 59
officerfrasher has a spectacular aura aboutofficerfrasher has a spectacular aura aboutofficerfrasher has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

/ Point Value: 10

Supporting Family Member  

Official Ride  

Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

/ Point Value: 5

Default Re: Few Complex Issues. Input/Advice Needed.

That sucks! Paging @BurntOrangeAppeal
officerfrasher is offline   Send a private message to officerfrasher Find more posts by officerfrasher Add officerfrasher to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2013, 11:24 AM   #3
Burnt Orange

Official Member #: 2887

Reputation Level: 34
BurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura about

Have you reset your idle air/ throttle body after the spark plug replacement? I would start there. Search for idle resets or look into FSM.
Make sure the proper conditions are met for the resets.
Click the image to open in full size.
-=My Build Tread=-
BurntOrangeAppeal is offline   Send a private message to BurntOrangeAppeal Find more posts by BurntOrangeAppeal Add BurntOrangeAppeal to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2013, 11:31 AM   Thread Starter #4
Official Member

Originally Posted by BurntOrangeAppeal View Post
Have you reset your idle air/ throttle body after the spark plug replacement? I would start there. Search for idle resets or look into FSM.
Make sure the proper conditions are met for the resets.
No I have not reset these. It idles right where it should, so I didnt really even think to do that. Also, this was all happening before the plug replacement. Is this something I should still do? Sorry for sounding like a total noob, but what is FSM?
EDIT: I'm an idiot.. lol.. factory service manual

Posted Via Tapatalk2

Last edited by byrothapyro; 01-10-2013 at 11:34 AM.
byrothapyro is offline   Send a private message to byrothapyro Find more posts by byrothapyro Add byrothapyro to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2013, 11:44 AM   #5
Senior Moderator
The Capital's 6th Gen

Official Member #: 1765

officerfrasher has a spectacular aura aboutofficerfrasher has a spectacular aura aboutofficerfrasher has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:

Supporting Family Member  

Official Ride  

Originally Posted by byrothapyro View Post
No I have not reset these. It idles right where it should, so I didnt really even think to do that. Also, this was all happening before the plug replacement. Is this something I should still do? Sorry for sounding like a total noob, but what is FSM?

Posted Via Tapatalk2
It wouldn't hurt to still do it. Actually it probably should have been done after installing the intake.
officerfrasher is offline   Send a private message to officerfrasher Find more posts by officerfrasher Add officerfrasher to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2013, 01:22 PM   #6
Burnt Orange

BurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura about

Posted Via Tapatalk2
Yes you need to reset.

Make sure conditions are met

All electrical loads are OFF
No AC, no defoster, no lights
Doors closed
Handbrake applied
Engine at operating temp
Steering wheel centered (as close, no need to be perfect here)
-=My Build Tread=-
BurntOrangeAppeal is offline   Send a private message to BurntOrangeAppeal Find more posts by BurntOrangeAppeal Add BurntOrangeAppeal to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2013, 02:10 PM   Thread Starter #7
Official Member

Ok guys. Did the idle relearn. Didn't make any difference for any of my issues. Idle was fine before so... I didn't expect much.

Posted Via Tapatalk2
Old 01-10-2013, 05:41 PM   #8

Official Member #: 747

Reputation Level: 10
bhp4202 is an unknown quantity at this point

do you have any engine codes you should scan for a code even if your check engine light is not on, i currently have a P0011 code but my check engine light is not on.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:57 PM   Thread Starter #9
Official Member

That was one of the first things i checked. For as long as I have owned the car, about a year and a half, it has had p1800 pending for the VIAS... but never an actual SES light, and the car has always run fine.

Posted Via Tapatalk2
Old 01-10-2013, 07:45 PM   #10
Senior Moderator

Official Member #: 63

1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

V.I.P Member  

/ Point Value: 15

Official Ride  

My first thought as soon as I started reading the post was a camshaft position sensor...

You may be well advised to pay the $100 diagnostic fee and take it to the dealer. Then, when THEY tell you what is wrong with it, you can fix it. If you have the time to tinker with it, then right-on brother...my Maxima is my only car, so if it has an issue I can't pin down then I'll gladly pay the dealer to troubleshoot it for me.

---------- Post added at 06:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:45 PM ----------

You didn't mess with the throttle blade at all when you were installing the CAI, did you?
Old 01-10-2013, 07:54 PM   #11

Official Member #: 158

Reputation Level: 33
Hmax will become famous soon enoughHmax will become famous soon enough

My Awards:

As hawaii said, did you mess with your throttle body? Just search that and you can see how crazy just a sligt nudge can fuck everything up. Also I have heard some crazy things where the negative battery terminal is corroded under the battery tray and not making 100% contact not i doubt its that but crazier things have happened and its a free check you and do yourself so why the heck not.

Also you noted a pending VIAS code??? look into that more

Want 12HP More?- CLICK HERE
Hmax is offline   Send a private message to Hmax Find more posts by Hmax Add Hmax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2013, 08:49 PM   #12

Official Member #: 747

Reputation Level: 10
bhp4202 is an unknown quantity at this point

check your connection at the vias solenoid see if its loose, have you had any work done of that.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:05 AM   Thread Starter #13
Official Member

Originally Posted by 1hawaii50 View Post
My first thought as soon as I started reading the post was a camshaft position sensor...

---------- Post added at 06:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:45 PM ----------

You didn't mess with the throttle blade at all when you were installing the CAI, did you?
That is what seems most logical here IMO. It being the CPS, that is.

And no the stock airbox was removed, cai installed and nothing in between.

Posted Via Tapatalk2

Last edited by byrothapyro; 01-11-2013 at 08:54 AM.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:58 AM   Thread Starter #14
Official Member

Ok so i checked out the negative battery terminal and its ground and everything appears intact. VIAS wiring seems intact as well. And to answer BHP's question... no. Nothing has been touched/modded/altered at the VIAS.

**NEW SYMPTOM that is making me think crankshaft position sensor even more... when I start my car, it stalls immediately after it cranks over. If i rev it up after it cranks over, sometimes it will stall, but more frequently the idle will even out and be fine.

Posted Via Tapatalk2
Old 01-11-2013, 09:26 AM   #15

My Awards:

Change that sensor and get back to us, best bet at this point.

Nick Fondz (01-11-2013)
Hmax is offline   Send a private message to Hmax Find more posts by Hmax Add Hmax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-11-2013, 11:16 AM   Thread Starter #16
Official Member

Originally Posted by Hmax View Post
Change that sensor and get back to us, best bet at this point.
Crankshaft Position sensor replaced. Still stalling, nothing resolved. :/ Now my idle is way rougher too.

Posted Via Tapatalk2

Last edited by byrothapyro; 01-11-2013 at 12:19 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:39 AM   Thread Starter #17
Official Member

Cam sensors?

Posted Via Tapatalk2
Old 01-11-2013, 12:26 PM   #18

My Awards:

That is super weird, now are you guys sure you didnt touch the throttle body valve??? If you change all that and its still doing it. Its time to visit the stealership, but back your stock air box before you go in.

Hopefuly someone else chimes in

Old 01-11-2013, 12:39 PM   Thread Starter #19
Official Member

I am hoping somebody does. At the shop now contemplating taking the hit for both cam sensors..

Posted Via Tapatalk2
Old 01-11-2013, 04:38 PM   Thread Starter #20
Official Member

Crank and both cam sensors replaced. Is anything resolved now that I am broke? ..of course not.
FML. Time to sell the max! ugh...that thought has NEVER crossed my mind :/

Posted Via Tapatalk2
Old 01-23-2013, 09:51 AM   Thread Starter #21
Official Member

Ok guys..
So I am still struggling with this ongoing issue. Give a symptom, gain another. So since I replaced all 3 of the sensors (crank and cam), the car no longer stalls on warm start. All other symptoms persist with the addition of a very jerky/erratic throttle. I have read Eddy's post on how to never ever ever EVER touch the throttle body to clean it. But after seeing this (see pic) -- I may give cleaning it a shot. The buildup around the flap is a raised ring of thick gunk. It seems logical that this be the cause and/or contributing to my jerky/erratic throttle, rough idle, power loss?, and all the others. Input anybody? Should i disconnect all power, remove the TB and give 'er a spray down? Thanks guys!

Posted Via Tapatalk2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1358948920718.jpg (41.6 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by byrothapyro; 01-23-2013 at 10:19 AM.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:53 PM   Thread Starter #22
Official Member

Well i think i found culprit for jerky throttle. See pics. That is wat a maxima TB w/ 200k on it looks like. Eddy, I am apologizing now for my disobedience. I cleaned the ever living sh*t out of that TB. butterfly and all. No problems. Disconnected -neg battery, unplugged e-throttle harness, 4 allen bolts out of TB, removed and gave it a bath with Seafoam intake spray and shop towels. Moved and held open the butterfly and all.

However, my idle still is horrible. Cars still shaking. Still no codes. Still sucks on gas and has the other weird problems. Im starting to think grounds? bad ecm?? grrrr.

ps cleaned MAF with crc maf cleaner as well.

I plan to follow this up on here until my baby is running right! Even if people dont reply :p Maybe it will be useful to somebody someday...

Thx people

Posted Via Tapatalk2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1359161176064.jpg (26.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1359161196666.jpg (28.1 KB, 12 views)
Old 01-25-2013, 09:58 PM   #23
Burnt Orange

Well i think i found culprit for jerky throttle. See pics. That is wat a maxima TB w/ 200k on it looks like. Eddy, I am apologizing now for my disobedience. I cleaned the ever living sh*t out of that TB. butterfly and all. No problems. Disconnected -neg battery, unplugged e-throttle harness, 4 allen bolts out of TB, removed and gave it a bath with Seafoam intake spray and shop towels. Moved and held open the butterfly and all.

However, my idle still is horrible. Cars still shaking. Still no codes. Still sucks on gas and has the other weird problems. Im starting to think grounds? bad ecm?? grrrr.

ps cleaned MAF with crc maf cleaner as well.

I plan to follow this up on here until my baby is running right! Even if people dont reply :p Maybe it will be useful to somebody someday...

Thx people

Posted Via Tapatalk2
I just re read your entire post.... I'm going to say it again dude,you NEED TO DO idle release and throttle relearn.

You stated you did it. YOU DID NOT do it correctly! and you cleaned your TB with the butterfly open......
you have a pending Po1800. You can NOT do an idle relearn as well as throttle relearns when you have a pending code.

Conditions must be met:
-Engine at operating temp
-No electrical leads(No AC, Lights no heater, defroster etc. Doors closed.
-hand brake applied
-steering wheel centered.
-No code 1st trip or second trip logic.

Correct your P01800. Then RELEARNS.
Sine you are allergic to the dealer grab yourself the FSM :thumbup:
-=My Build Tread=-
Old 02-08-2013, 05:27 PM   #24

Official Member #: 7116

Reputation Level: 8
Maxima2008 is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 17%
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Wow...you guys sound like you know what you are talking about...I'm somewhat intimidated to even comment on this one (in all seriousness). I was just going to say put some BG44 in there..but the boys look like they are taking you down the right road so just follow their instructions. Atleast something will get fixed or work better. Hope it gets resolved man.
Maxima2008 is offline   Send a private message to Maxima2008 Find more posts by Maxima2008 Add Maxima2008 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top