Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > How To's & DIY Mods > Engine, Trans, F/I & Tuning

Old 06-09-2015, 12:19 AM   #101
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 6274

Reputation Level: 8
O.G.Nat-tral is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%
Visit O.G.Nat-tral's PS3 Profile Visit O.G.Nat-tral's Twitter Visit O.G.Nat-tral's YouTube
Default Re: How to Replace and Install New Spark Plugs

Here is how I do my ignition coils and spark plugs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lddjMAkphD8

Abused VQ
sprocketser (06-09-2015)
O.G.Nat-tral is offline   Send a private message to O.G.Nat-tral Find more posts by O.G.Nat-tral Add O.G.Nat-tral to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-24-2015, 02:55 PM   #102
The Local 6.5 Gen

Official Member #: 564

Reputation Level: 26
cgoss will become famous soon enoughcgoss will become famous soon enough

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

/ Point Value: 10

/ Point Value: 5

Great write up! I just replaced my plugs, PCV valve, and intake gasket this morning. It took about two hours start to finish. The only thing that I found easier was to do step one at the end before removing the intake. The two bolts were easier to get to with everything else disconnected.
Old 10-24-2015, 08:37 PM   #103
Reputable Member

Official Member #: 6257

Reputation Level: 11
sprocketser is an unknown quantity at this point

A big job done mate .
Newest ride , 05 Smoke Met M/T SER Altima,NismoCAI/CatBack , Dynomax Resonator OBX Headers , RacingLine FSTB& BTD tbi, RedLionRacing Shifter Bushings tbi , EBC RedStuff Pads/ 06 350Z Base Rear Brakes/EBC Rotors , H&R springs & Triple C Camber Bolts tbi , RP MaxATF psf , Motul Brake fluids & clutch fluids , LiquiMoly Motor oil/Wix Filter , Pennzoil Synth Gear Oil , Wix cab filter , Interstate Battery , Michelin Pilot A/S+ ,
sprocketser is offline   Send a private message to sprocketser Find more posts by sprocketser Add sprocketser to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-18-2016, 01:08 AM   #104
rcy

Official Member #: 16355

Reputation Level: 0
rcy is an unknown quantity at this point

Very helpful write up. I did find a few things different on my 2004 Elite.

1. There was no way on Earth I was getting to those rear bolts or any of the electrical connectors without removing the windshield wipers, cowl and some large metal brace thing running between the strut towers (not aftermarket - factory metal brace). First pic is wiper arms and cowl removed, showing big metal thing. 2nd pic is big metal thing. 3rd pic is the engine bay without big metal thing.

2. I had to disconnect the EGR pipe (did the 5.5's not have an EGR / pipe?)
The EGR pipe is centre left in the 4th picture, right below the blue connector.

3. There is a thick wiring loom (or maybe it's the power steering hose?) at the back that is bolted to the manifold collector. This will also have to be unbolted to remove the collector, or if you're using the method I used and splitting the upper and lower collectors, it will still have to be unbolted so the upper collector can be moved around (it will flex at the rubber hose connected to the throttle body end).

4. I decided instead of monkeying around with the throttle body electrical connectors and hoses etc. I would just disconnect the upper intake manifold collector from the lower. Three of the bolts are easy to get with a socket, and the last bottom driver's side I used a small 12mm wrench. You will need one additional gasket that goes between the upper and lower collectors. If you order the Fel-Pro kit, it comes with the long gasket (for the lower collector to intake manifold) and two additional gaskets - one for the lower and upper connection and one for where the upper pipe meets the throttle body (I didn't need this one).

Even using this method, you still need to remove those two bolts at the rear and the bolted on wiring loom, so you can move the upper collector out of the way to access the coil packs and spark plugs. I also replaced the valve cover gasket as it was leaking pretty bad and the smell of burning oil was killing me inside the car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1030425.jpg (90.4 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg P1030428.jpg (88.4 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg P1030429.jpg (89.4 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg P1030430.jpg (96.8 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by rcy; 01-19-2016 at 11:01 AM.
rcy is offline   Send a private message to rcy Find more posts by rcy Add rcy to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-18-2016, 10:33 AM   #105
Official Member

Official Member #: 15981

Reputation Level: 5
Travieso is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rcy View Post
Very helpful write up. I did find a few things different on my 2004 Elite.

1. There was no way on Earth I was getting to those rear bolts or any of the electrical connectors without removing the windshield wipers, cowl and some large metal brace thing running between the strut towers (not aftermarket - factory metal brace). First pic is wiper arms and cowl removed, showing big metal thing. 2nd pic is big metal thing. 3rd pic is the engine bay without big metal thing.

2. I had to disconnect the EGR pipe (did the 5.5's not have an EGR / pipe?)
The EGR pipe is centre left in the 4th picture, right below the blue connector.

3. I decided instead of monkeying around with the throttle body electrical connectors and hoses etc. I would just disconnect the upper intake manifold collector from the lower. Three of the bolts are easy to get with a socket, and the last bottom driver's side I used a small 12mm wrench. You will need one additional gasket that goes between the upper and lower collectors. If you order the Fel-Pro kit, it comes with the long gasket (for the lower collector to intake manifold) and two additional gaskets - one for the lower and upper connection and one for where the upper pipe meets the throttle body (I didn't need this one).

Even using this method, you still need to remove those two bolts at the rear so you can move the upper collector out of the way to access the coil packs and spark plugs. I also replaced the valve cover gasket as it was leaking pretty bad and the smell of burning oil was killing me inside the car.
i was able to do it without removing the windshield cowl and brace. it was a bit tight but do able. i have an 04 elite 6spd. i took off the whole intake manifold with the throttle body
Travieso is offline   Send a private message to Travieso Find more posts by Travieso Add Travieso to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-18-2016, 12:46 PM   #106
rcy

Wow..how the heck did you get your hands in under that metal support? I took one look and decided it was coming off. I couldn't even see the rear bolts at the back of the upper manifold collector. I know for sure that the 5.5 gens don't have this.

I debated taking the whole thing off right from the throttle body, but I didn't feel like disconnecting the three(?) small hoses in there or disconnecting the throttle body electrical connector. According to service manual, if the connector is disconnected, there are some additional steps needed when reconnecting to teach it where the fully closed position is and...some other things...can't remember.

Last edited by rcy; 01-18-2016 at 01:21 PM.
rcy is offline   Send a private message to rcy Find more posts by rcy Add rcy to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-18-2016, 04:02 PM   #107
Official Member

i looked at the original post with the pictures, he had his stock brace off. so that's does make it a lot easier. I have smaller hands and arms. i had very little room to reach the 2 bolts behind the collector but managed to get a short socket with a 3/8 ratchet from the side. once the manifold was loose, i took the vacuum hose clamps off with small needle nose pliers. the blue and green connectors were the tough part for me. taking them off the the bracket attached to the manifold.
i do have a higher idle speed now, i cleaned the TB off the car. reconnected everything normally, and did the relearn procedure. but everytime the car shuts off and starts again the high idle is back. When you talk about reconnecting steps, do you mean with the hoses?

Last edited by Travieso; 01-18-2016 at 04:05 PM.
Travieso is offline   Send a private message to Travieso Find more posts by Travieso Add Travieso to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-18-2016, 04:39 PM   #108
rcy

There is no stock brace on the 5th gen as far as I know. His pictures are from a 2003 - out 2004s are a little bit different.

If you want to remove the stock brace on the 6th gen, then you will need to pull the wiper arms off, the cowl off and then the brace. It made it much easier to work on, and the cowl and brace aren't that hard to take off.

Anyway, see below regarding the idle speed.. You have to be very accurate with your timing, otherwise you'll have to go to the dealer and pay them to use the Consult machine. Likely this happened to you because you cleaned the throttle body.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg throttle.JPG (53.3 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg thorttle2.JPG (91.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg thottle3.jpg (90.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg thottle4.jpg (79.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg pedal.JPG (54.8 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by rcy; 01-18-2016 at 04:48 PM.
Old 01-18-2016, 04:49 PM   #109
Official Member

i did exactly that, i have 6MT, and it works every single time, idle returns to normal. drive it around, its all normal. but when i shut off the car, whether right after or sometime after the relearn the high idle comes back on. im thinking of trying to reset the ECU all together. Having the battery out for sometime should do it. I attempted it one time overnight but i forgot i have 2 capacitors for the audio system in the back. it probably fed the ECU memory just enough because nothing reset that time.
Old 03-05-2016, 11:50 PM   #110

Official Member #: 17534

Rocinante is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Travieso View Post
i did exactly that, i have 6MT, and it works every single time, idle returns to normal. drive it around, its all normal. but when i shut off the car, whether right after or sometime after the relearn the high idle comes back on. im thinking of trying to reset the ECU all together. Having the battery out for sometime should do it. I attempted it one time overnight but i forgot i have 2 capacitors for the audio system in the back. it probably fed the ECU memory just enough because nothing reset that time.
So did disconnecting the battery overnight work?
Rocinante is offline   Send a private message to Rocinante Find more posts by Rocinante Add Rocinante to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2016, 11:50 PM   #111

So did disconnecting the battery overnight work?
Rocinante is offline   Send a private message to Rocinante Find more posts by Rocinante Add Rocinante to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2016, 09:26 AM   #112
Official Member

in my case it did not, not to say its worth a shot if other options are explored.
Old 03-12-2016, 01:38 AM   #113

Official Member #: 17001

BrownBaby is an unknown quantity at this point

Whats Up 6th Gen, I am in need of tuning my car up and I need to know if need to replace the intake manifold gasket if i am removing the intake manifold to reach spark plugs in the back?

Can anyone recommend models for ignition coils and spark plugs?

Thanks,

#myfirstpost #8007
BrownBaby is offline   Send a private message to BrownBaby Find more posts by BrownBaby Add BrownBaby to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-12-2016, 06:23 PM   #114

in my case it did not, not to say its worth a shot if other options are explored.

Maybe I misread or missed it, but what finally worked for you?
Old 03-14-2016, 08:27 AM   #115

Official Member #: 16528

Zillafreak is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BrownBaby View Post
Whats Up 6th Gen, I am in need of tuning my car up and I need to know if need to replace the intake manifold gasket if i am removing the intake manifold to reach spark plugs in the back?

Can anyone recommend models for ignition coils and spark plugs?

Thanks,

#myfirstpost #8007
OEM coils, NGK plugs at OEM type.
Old 05-17-2016, 08:31 AM   #116
Official Member

Well nothing worked so far, i recently changed the battery, suspected it was losing power the odd time overnight, settings seemed to reset like blower config. it was weak from winter time anyways, but idle relearn is still not working. Even my guy at the dealer is having a hard time trying to reset it from the ECU. tried multiple times.
Old 05-19-2016, 05:22 PM   #117

Official Member #: 613

Jatan is an unknown quantity at this point

Planning on replacing my plugs in the next month or two -- did the PCV valve last summer without removing the intake manifold (easier to buy a new PCV hose part #11826-ZA010 so you can pull/twist/cut the old PCV hose)

Going to go with the Fel-Pro MS96471 plenum gasket set and NGK 4469 iridium plugs (LFR5AIX-11) since those are cheaper than the OEM NGK 6240 platinum plugs (PLFR5A-11)

Will buy a flexible ratchet from HF to get to the back bolts -- like this guy @2 min:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRUOy89R57o
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-8-eig...het-96369.html

If that doesn't work then I'll try to get to them from the right of the TB @7:45 mark:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b53TT0c5aSs

Well nothing worked so far, i recently changed the battery, suspected it was losing power the odd time overnight, settings seemed to reset like blower config. it was weak from winter time anyways, but idle relearn is still not working. Even my guy at the dealer is having a hard time trying to reset it from the ECU. tried multiple times.
Our cars have a sensitive throttle body so its best to just leave it alone. If you decide to clean it then make sure you disconnect the battery first and don't move the butterfly plate while cleaning

I made the mistake last summer of cleaning the TB while the battery was still connected and manually opening the butterfly plate -- after that I had high idle and was unable to get the idle back to normal

I ended up buying a used TB from eBay -- paid $55 shipped for a lower mileage one instead of $40-45 for a high mileage one. Sprayed the new TB with TB cleaner and installed it with a new gasket -- did the idle relearn procedure and my car was finally back to normal
Old 05-19-2016, 08:56 PM   #118
Flipadelphia

Official Member #: 662

Reputation Level: 55
06BlckMax is a jewel in the rough06BlckMax is a jewel in the rough06BlckMax is a jewel in the rough06BlckMax is a jewel in the rough

My Awards:

Visit 06BlckMax's PS3 Profile

Originally Posted by Jatan View Post
Planning on replacing my plugs in the next month or two -- did the PCV valve last summer without removing the intake manifold (easier to buy a new PCV hose part #11826-ZA010 so you can pull/twist/cut the old PCV hose)

Going to go with the Fel-Pro MS96471 plenum gasket set and NGK 4469 iridium plugs (LFR5AIX-11) since those are cheaper than the OEM NGK 6240 platinum plugs (PLFR5A-11)

Will buy a flexible ratchet from HF to get to the back bolts -- like this guy @2 min:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRUOy89R57o
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-8-eig...het-96369.html

If that doesn't work then I'll try to get to them from the right of the TB @7:45 mark:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b53TT0c5aSs
Just remove the cowl it takes 10 mins you don't need to buy a swivel ratchet the guy that said an hour I have no idea what his talking about

------See How It Was Built------
06BlckMax is offline   Send a private message to 06BlckMax Find more posts by 06BlckMax Add 06BlckMax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 05-19-2016, 09:02 PM   #119
Flipadelphia

Official Member #: 662

Reputation Level: 55
06BlckMax is a jewel in the rough06BlckMax is a jewel in the rough06BlckMax is a jewel in the rough06BlckMax is a jewel in the rough

My Awards:

Visit 06BlckMax's PS3 Profile

Click the image to open in full size.

------See How It Was Built------
trilla_one (05-21-2016)
06BlckMax is offline   Send a private message to 06BlckMax Find more posts by 06BlckMax Add 06BlckMax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 05-21-2016, 07:17 PM   #120
Official Member

Official Member #: 2874

Reputation Level: 8
trilla_one is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jatan View Post

I ended up buying a used TB from eBay -- paid $55 shipped for a lower mileage one instead of $40-45 for a high mileage one. Sprayed the new TB with TB cleaner and installed it with a new gasket -- did the idle relearn procedure and my car was finally back to normal
@Travieso this^. No need to lose sleep over something so simple.

"Every generation has to take its place in battling in the struggle for equality"

-Dr. Harry Thomas
trilla_one is offline   Send a private message to trilla_one Find more posts by trilla_one Add trilla_one to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2016, 08:11 AM   #121
Official Member

Originally Posted by trilla_one View Post
@Travieso this^. No need to lose sleep over something so simple.
i know its a simple solution, Not losing any sleep at all, been driving like this for months now, but fuel economy is down for sure...lol might have to spend the extra cash now on a new/used one rather than the gas....just seems odd to me that it was perfectly fine before i touch it.
Old 05-24-2016, 10:58 AM   #122

Official Member #: 16528

Zillafreak is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 06BlckMax View Post
Just remove the cowl it takes 10 mins you don't need to buy a swivel ratchet the guy that said an hour I have no idea what his talking about
It will take more than 10 minutes the first time, but it is so much better having all that shit out of the way. Give you room to see and reach things. It isn't hard to remove either, just need to make sure you get all the correct bolts.
Old 03-05-2017, 07:08 PM   #123

Official Member #: 18422

majestic88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by EddyMaxx View Post
Continued...

Unplug your "drive by wire" electrical connector, for the electronic throttle.

Pop out the two plastic harness holders.

Get the wire out of the way.

Remove this plug, take the 10mm bolt out, then put the plug back in.

Make room.....

This was a tough picture to take. A little trick here - disconnect hoses 1 and 2 right at the area pointed to by the yellow line. Be prepared for a little bit of coolant to spill out when you disconnect hose #2.

Important - disconnect hose #3, not where you see the yellow line here, but at the other end of the hose. You will never in a million years reach this hose where the arrow is pointing, but you can reach it at the other end.

Slide the compression clamps down before you try to take these hoses off.

Just another view at lines #1 and #2.

Removing hose #1.

After all of the hoses and electrical connectors come off, you can lift the entire intake collector assembly up and out. This is what the engine bay looks like with the collector assembly off.

Another view of the engine bay.

The collector assembly is rather large, but it is actually very light. I took the opportunity to clean mine up with some Gumout intake cleaner. Note that hose #3 is still attached to the collector!

Note how all of the assemblies remain attached when the collector comes off.

Here is a side view.

The procedure to remove the coils is the same for the front bank as it is for the rear. Just take the 10mm bolt out, unplug the connector and pull it right out.

This is what one coil looks like.

Use a spark plug wrench to remove each plug.

Nissan recommends you change this gasket any time the collector comes off. It is an expensive gasket, but why risk it? Buy a new one.

I do not show re-assembly here, but just follow these steps in reverse order. I hope I have de-mystified this process a little bit, and that you might be inspired to do this job yourself when the time comes. Good Luck, and you can do it.

Intake manifold fits on only one way. Hard to confuse it as backwards
majestic88 is offline   Send a private message to majestic88 Find more posts by majestic88 Add majestic88 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-02-2018, 05:25 PM   #124
Official Member

Official Member #: 1245

Reputation Level: 9
sonicview is an unknown quantity at this point

It looks complicated to me doing the first time, not confident. If anyone already did this and feel very comfortable doing it and knows what he is doing then can you please help me change the spark plug in my Maxima 2007? I am in north NJ, please PM me where are you and how much you will charge, if I buy needed parts. I can bring the car to you or you can come here, I am flexible.
sonicview is offline   Send a private message to sonicview Find more posts by sonicview Add sonicview to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top