Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Extended Maxima Generation Family
my4thgen.org my5thgen.org my6thgen.org my7thgen.org my8thgen.org myxgen.org
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > How To's & DIY Mods > Engine, Trans, F/I & Tuning

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 01-17-2011, 01:30 PM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 1

Reputation Level: 20
EddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to behold

Visit EddyMaxx's Facebook Visit EddyMaxx's PS3 Profile Visit EddyMaxx's Twitter Visit EddyMaxx's YouTube Visit EddyMaxx's Xbox Gamercard
Default How to Remove & Replace Your Starter

Its very simple.

Summary:

• Disconnect battery ground cable.
  • Remove air cleaner cover and collector duct to intake manifold.
  • Disconnect starter wiring from starter.
  • Remove starter retaining bolts and starter.
Detail:
Originally Posted by NiZMo1o1 View Post
1.Remove the negative battery cable on your Maxima by loosening it with a socket/wrench

2. Locate your Maxima's starter. It is generally found on the driver's side of the engine mounted on the block.(95-2008 the Starters is on the Driver side, Most easiest to get to on any Nissan cars ), you may have to remove the air intake assembly first. To accomplish this, use the screwdrivers and sockets to remove any clamps holding it in place. You may have to remove a hose too.

3.Remove the cables that attach your starter to your battery with a socket set/wrench ( IIRC 12mm )

4.Loosen and remove the mounting bolts that hold your starter to the engine block using your socket set. You will probably need the ratchet extension to reach the mounting bolts. Also be sure to mark, with chalk, which bolt comes from each hole, as most Maxima starter mounting bolts are two different sizes. ( on the 5th gen theres a 14mm and 17mm bolts , the 17mm Bolt is longer than the 14mm on a 5th gen Maxima, IIRC the 6th gen Maxima has the same size bolts , Sorry I havent change a Automatic Starter in awhile )

5.Lift the old starter out and set the new one into place.

6.Replace the mounting bolts to hold your new starter in place and then re-attach the starter cables.

7.tighten negative battery cable and then test your new starter by turning the ignition. The engine should turn over immediately.

8.Re-assemble the air intake assembly and any hoses or clamps you may have removed to get to your Maxima's starter.

I hope this helps out !

This is what the starter looks like:

Click the image to open in full size.

Additional Helpful Info:

04' Infiniti FX35 - [Stock/Family Vehicle]
02' Nissan Altima - [Sold-1st Car]

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
EddyMaxx is offline   Send a private message to EddyMaxx Find more posts by EddyMaxx Add EddyMaxx to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-17-2011, 01:32 PM   Thread Starter #2

EddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to behold

Visit EddyMaxx's Facebook Visit EddyMaxx's PS3 Profile Visit EddyMaxx's Twitter Visit EddyMaxx's YouTube Visit EddyMaxx's Xbox Gamercard
Default Re: How to Remove & Replace Your Starter

Alan... can you provide a little more insight on this?

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
EddyMaxx is offline   Send a private message to EddyMaxx Find more posts by EddyMaxx Add EddyMaxx to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-17-2011, 01:49 PM   #3

Official Member #: 136

Reputation Level: 5
mu33rto is an unknown quantity at this point

EddyMaxx = Ninja from the my6thgen clan.. Very fast reflexes lol
mu33rto is offline   Send a private message to mu33rto Find more posts by mu33rto Add mu33rto to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-17-2011, 01:51 PM   Thread Starter #4

Originally Posted by mu33rto View Post
EddyMaxx = Ninja from the my6thgen clan.. Very fast reflexes lol

In reference to your chatbox comment... here's what it looks like.

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
Old 01-17-2011, 06:09 PM   #5
Premier Member

Official Member #: 211

Reputation Level: 37
NiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

/ Point Value: 10

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

1.Remove the negative battery cable on your Maxima by loosening it with a socket/wrench

2. Locate your Maxima's starter. It is generally found on the driver's side of the engine mounted on the block.(95-2008 the Starters is on the Driver side, Most easiest to get to on any Nissan cars ), you may have to remove the air intake assembly first. To accomplish this, use the screwdrivers and sockets to remove any clamps holding it in place. You may have to remove a hose too.

3.Remove the cables that attach your starter to your battery with a socket set/wrench ( IIRC 12mm )

4.Loosen and remove the mounting bolts that hold your starter to the engine block using your socket set. You will probably need the ratchet extension to reach the mounting bolts. Also be sure to mark, with chalk, which bolt comes from each hole, as most Maxima starter mounting bolts are two different sizes. ( on the 5th gen theres a 14mm and 17mm bolts , the 17mm Bolt is longer than the 14mm on a 5th gen Maxima, IIRC the 6th gen Maxima has the same size bolts , Sorry I havent change a Automatic Starter in awhile )

5.Lift the old starter out and set the new one into place.

6.Replace the mounting bolts to hold your new starter in place and then re-attach the starter cables.

7.tighten negative battery cable and then test your new starter by turning the ignition. The engine should turn over immediately.

8.Re-assemble the air intake assembly and any hoses or clamps you may have removed to get to your Maxima's starter.

I hope this helps out !
BurntOrangeAppeal (08-21-2012)
NiZMo1o1 is online now   Send a private message to NiZMo1o1 Find more posts by NiZMo1o1 Add NiZMo1o1 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 12-31-2011, 12:46 PM   #6

Official Member #: 3918

Reputation Level: 0
Triple_Digits113 is an unknown quantity at this point

BUMP
Triple_Digits113 is offline   Send a private message to Triple_Digits113 Find more posts by Triple_Digits113 Add Triple_Digits113 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2012, 06:38 PM   #7
Premier Member

Official Member #: 4813

Reputation Level: 8
DizzyinK KustomS will become famous soon enough

oh yeah im ur avergae not no a lick a nothin mechanic and im gonna do this today 8) @officerfrasher and everyone else be ready for pms lmao!
DizzyinK KustomS is offline   Send a private message to DizzyinK KustomS Find more posts by DizzyinK KustomS Add DizzyinK KustomS to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2012, 07:07 PM   #8
Senior Moderator
The Capital's 6th Gen

Official Member #: 1765

Reputation Level: 53
officerfrasher has a spectacular aura aboutofficerfrasher has a spectacular aura aboutofficerfrasher has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:

Supporting Family Member  

Official Ride  

Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

/ Point Value: 5

Originally Posted by DizzyiNk84 View Post
oh yeah im ur avergae not no a lick a nothin mechanic and im gonna do this today 8) @officerfrasher and everyone else be ready for pms lmao!
I don't know anything about replacing the starter.
officerfrasher is offline   Send a private message to officerfrasher Find more posts by officerfrasher Add officerfrasher to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2012, 07:26 PM   #9
Premier Member

well ive started lol have 4 hours till works overs gotta get it done before then wish me luck lol
DizzyinK KustomS is offline   Send a private message to DizzyinK KustomS Find more posts by DizzyinK KustomS Add DizzyinK KustomS to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2012, 07:28 PM   #10
Burnt Orange

Official Member #: 2887

Reputation Level: 29
BurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura about

Good luck.
-=My Build Tread=-
BurntOrangeAppeal is offline   Send a private message to BurntOrangeAppeal Find more posts by BurntOrangeAppeal Add BurntOrangeAppeal to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2012, 08:12 PM   #11
Premier Member

note to self theres a bunch of antifreeze 8)
Old 08-21-2012, 08:59 PM   #12
Premier Member

old starter out new one in now reconnect 8)
officerfrasher (08-21-2012)
Old 08-21-2012, 09:25 PM   #13
Senior Moderator
The Capital's 6th Gen

officerfrasher has a spectacular aura aboutofficerfrasher has a spectacular aura aboutofficerfrasher has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:

Supporting Family Member  

Official Ride  

Originally Posted by DizzyiNk84 View Post
note to self theres a bunch of antifreeze 8)
What? What does that have to do with it? (I haven't read the instructions)
officerfrasher is offline   Send a private message to officerfrasher Find more posts by officerfrasher Add officerfrasher to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 08-22-2012, 12:04 AM   #14
Premier Member

@officerfrasher, well being that I'm not a good mechanic LOL I didn't know that there was a plug to drain the antifreeze so each hose I disconnected poured antifreeze all over the parking lot LOL ... OK so bottom line I got the old starter out put the new one in and when I cranked it over it just sound like a turbine engine... figuring I'm just a dumb ass I took it out again mind u all my antifreeze fell on the floor and before ttrying to start the car I filled it back up.. so after doing some searching I found that there was a plug on the bottom of the radiator so I used this shop pan to catch it. I open the drain starts pouring in the catch and I go inside and give it a few minutes but when I came back out I realized the drain on the catch pain was open regardless I pull the new (used starter from the junkyard I got for 30$) trying to save money.. I pull that off and think maybe the bolt didn't sit right put it back on and the same thing 8( again pull it off... put my old one back on and boom starts right up.... but then I left work and forgot to put coolant fml... but I live around the block so tommorrow morning ill take my truck buy a real NEW start and some coolant
Old 08-22-2012, 12:08 AM   #15
Senior Moderator
The Capital's 6th Gen

My Awards:

Supporting Family Member  

Official Ride  

The instructions don't say anything about draining your radiator. Why did you do that and/or remove radiator hoses?
Old 08-22-2012, 12:53 AM   #16
Premier Member

You have to in order to get the starter off ... unless the went from the bottom? I went throught the top...
Old 08-22-2012, 01:07 AM   #17
Executive Member

Official Member #: 684

Reputation Level: 68
Thundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the rough

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

Wash your hands.

Originally quoted by SH@Y86
Every time I think of judge Judy I think of her sitting in a court room with a name plate that reads Thundershott
Thundershott is offline   Send a private message to Thundershott Find more posts by Thundershott Add Thundershott to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 08-22-2012, 05:50 PM   #18
Premier Member

ok so i said screw and let the shop do it 260$ damn it!
Old 12-10-2012, 06:20 PM   #19

Official Member #: 6766

cfarrar is an unknown quantity at this point

I am technically challenged, but like to mess things up good by trying. So, I have changed a starter before, but where the heck is the starter on a 2004 Maxima? I have removed the air duct, but still can't find it. Sorry, such an idiot question.
cfarrar is offline   Send a private message to cfarrar Find more posts by cfarrar Add cfarrar to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2012, 08:45 PM   #20
Senior Moderator

Official Member #: 140

Reputation Level: 46
Chemax has a spectacular aura aboutChemax has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Good info here!

It should be on the passenger side (I believe).

mmm.... chorizo
-csiepka
Chemax is offline   Send a private message to Chemax Find more posts by Chemax Add Chemax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2012, 10:58 PM   #21
Burnt Orange

BurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by cfarrar View Post
I am technically challenged, but like to mess things up good by trying. So, I have changed a starter before, but where the heck is the starter on a 2004 Maxima? I have removed the air duct, but still can't find it. Sorry, such an idiot question.
Your starter and in most vehicles is located between your transmission and engine since it needs to engage a flywheel or flexplate teeth. Its located at the bottom in front of your radiator if you have a 5 Speed Auto, top if you have a 4AT, and center/lower if you have 6MT.
-=My Build Tread=-
BurntOrangeAppeal is offline   Send a private message to BurntOrangeAppeal Find more posts by BurntOrangeAppeal Add BurntOrangeAppeal to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 12-11-2012, 09:14 AM   #22

Official Member #: 5202

Reputation Level: 3
Safiloo1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Glad to know, at least the car have something easy to do, not like a rear motor mount or a bad alternator.
Safiloo1 is offline   Send a private message to Safiloo1 Find more posts by Safiloo1 Add Safiloo1 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 12-11-2012, 11:22 AM   #23

Official Member #: 6766

cfarrar is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, BurntOrangeAppeal! I appreciate the reply. Now, next job for the weekend...starter replacment!

Then, I am onto the transmission problems. Anyone reading have an opinion over using the Transgo fix versus an entire Valve Body Replacement?
cfarrar is offline   Send a private message to cfarrar Find more posts by cfarrar Add cfarrar to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 12-11-2012, 12:56 PM   #24
Burnt Orange

Originally Posted by cfarrar View Post
Thanks, BurntOrangeAppeal! I appreciate the reply. Now, next job for the weekend...starter replacment!

Then, I am onto the transmission problems. Anyone reading have an opinion over using the Transgo fix versus an entire Valve Body Replacement?
Anytime dude. Before you replace your starter, or do both at the same time, i would replace your ground cable going from the battery negative post to your tranny. Your starter uses this grounding point. I'm certain that cable is shot. It might look oKay on the outside but inside is corroded...
-=My Build Tread=-
Old 03-05-2013, 03:52 AM   #25
Official Member

Official Member #: 2405

Reputation Level: 4
2damax is an unknown quantity at this point

actually if you have a 5sp auto you dont need to remove any intake parts. Its located at the bottom right next to the front exhaust manifold
Deleted Cat
Greddy Spectre Elite Exhaust
Drilled & Slotted Rotors
22" TSW Rims
2damax is offline   Send a private message to 2damax Find more posts by 2damax Add 2damax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top