Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Extended Maxima Generation Family
my4thgen.org my5thgen.org my6thgen.org my7thgen.org my8thgen.org myxgen.org
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > How To's & DIY Mods > Engine, Trans, F/I & Tuning

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 10-07-2010, 03:48 PM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 1

Reputation Level: 20
EddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to behold

Visit EddyMaxx's Facebook Visit EddyMaxx's PS3 Profile Visit EddyMaxx's Twitter Visit EddyMaxx's YouTube Visit EddyMaxx's Xbox Gamercard
Default How to Remove & Replace Your Alternator

Here is the order in which you will want to remove this alternator.

1. Disconnect the battery
2. Remove the engine undercover
3. Remove the radiator (instructions below)
4. Remove your drive belt (instructions below)
5. Remove your enigne idler pulley
6. Disconnect the alternator wires
7. Remove the alternator adjustable top mount
8. Remove alternator lower bracket
9. Slide the alternator out, you should have plenty of room
Click the image to open in full size.

Radiator Removal
1. Drain coolant from radiator
2. Disconnect your upper and lower radiator hoses.
3. Remove your transmission cooler lines from the radiator and plug the lines.
4. Disconnect the reservior tank hose
5. Remove the radiator mounting brackets
6. Remove the radiator and radiator fan assembly

Drive Belt Removal
1. Drive belt tension is relieved by using a wrench or ratchet and socket to turn tensioner bolt, see tensioner location in picture.

Follow the reverse procedure for installing your new alternator and putting everything back in place.
04' Infiniti FX35 - [Stock/Family Vehicle]
02' Nissan Altima - [Sold-1st Car]

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
EddyMaxx is offline   Send a private message to EddyMaxx Find more posts by EddyMaxx Add EddyMaxx to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-07-2010, 03:54 PM   Thread Starter #2

Official Member #: 1

EddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to behold

Visit EddyMaxx's Facebook Visit EddyMaxx's PS3 Profile Visit EddyMaxx's Twitter Visit EddyMaxx's YouTube Visit EddyMaxx's Xbox Gamercard
Default Re: How to Remove & Replace Your Alternator

sheabnyc stated he replaces his alternator without taking out the radiator. So its possible but might be really agressive in removing it.

The suggested way is to remove the radiator as detailed by the Nissan Procedure above.
04' Infiniti FX35 - [Stock/Family Vehicle]
02' Nissan Altima - [Sold-1st Car]

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
Mr DoLLa (05-22-2013)
EddyMaxx is offline   Send a private message to EddyMaxx Find more posts by EddyMaxx Add EddyMaxx to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2012, 02:08 PM   #3
Reputable Member

Official Member #: 1598

Reputation Level: 16
smittybizzle will become famous soon enough

You can do it without removing the radiator . A few radiator support bolts have to be removed to get enough clearance to take it out from the top .
smittybizzle is offline   Send a private message to smittybizzle Find more posts by smittybizzle Add smittybizzle to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2012, 04:31 PM   #4
Connecticut's Prestige 6th Gen

Official Member #: 82

CXJ Performance will become famous soon enoughCXJ Performance will become famous soon enough

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

/ Point Value: 10

Honorable Ride  

/ Point Value: 5

I never remove the radiator to remove the alternator. I twist the alternator sideways and it comes right up. Also pro-tip is to remove the compressor bolts and move the compressor down a bit so you can have easier access to the long alternator bolt. Its much much easier that way

Chemax (05-22-2013), MadMike (05-07-2014), smittybizzle (04-27-2012)
Dislikes: (1)
Mr DoLLa (05-22-2013)
CXJ Performance is offline   Send a private message to CXJ Performance Find more posts by CXJ Performance Add CXJ Performance to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 05-01-2012, 03:17 PM   #5

Official Member #: 5202

Reputation Level: 3
Safiloo1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I dont remove the radiator, the fans yes and dont have to remove the compressor lines, i did put aside the compressor for the FUC#%^& rear bolt, and my advise, if your a newb dont even try it, its at least a 3 to 5 hours job.
Safiloo1 is offline   Send a private message to Safiloo1 Find more posts by Safiloo1 Add Safiloo1 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-07-2012, 02:02 AM   #6

Official Member #: 6123

Reputation Level: 0
spiritman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Safiloo1 View Post
I dont remove the radiator, the fans yes and dont have to remove the compressor lines, i did put aside the compressor for the FUC#%^& rear bolt, and my advise, if your a newb dont even try it, its at least a 3 to 5 hours job.
So if I haven't done it before, don't try to remove the alternator or the compressor?
spiritman is offline   Send a private message to spiritman Find more posts by spiritman Add spiritman to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-07-2012, 09:47 AM   #7
Burnt Orange

Official Member #: 2887

Reputation Level: 29
BurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by spiritman View Post
So if I haven't done it before, don't try to remove the alternator or the compressor?
He is suggesting you might want to take it to a shop. If you are motivated, and trying to save money, you can do it yourself.
-=My Build Tread=-
BurntOrangeAppeal is offline   Send a private message to BurntOrangeAppeal Find more posts by BurntOrangeAppeal Add BurntOrangeAppeal to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2012, 02:02 PM   #8

Official Member #: 6123

spiritman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BurntOrangeAppeal View Post
He is suggesting you might want to take it to a shop. If you are motivated, and trying to save money, you can do it yourself.
I plan on getting a high output alternator so I'm motivated. However, I would like a definitive list of the tools required to DIY this.
spiritman is offline   Send a private message to spiritman Find more posts by spiritman Add spiritman to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2012, 04:44 PM   #9
The Bandit

Official Member #: 15

Reputation Level: 18
K-Ryder will become famous soon enough

My Awards:

Visit K-Ryder's Facebook Visit K-Ryder's PS3 Profile Visit K-Ryder's YouTube

For me I just remove the compressor and voila Alternator comes out. It's easier that way, and its a 1 - 2 hour job.
smittybizzle (05-22-2013)
K-Ryder is offline   Send a private message to K-Ryder Find more posts by K-Ryder Add K-Ryder to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 05-20-2013, 11:18 PM   #10

Official Member #: 7015

reklews is an unknown quantity at this point

First time doing this on my Maxima.I've changed alternators on my other vehicles, but never had to work in this tight of an area before. Thanks for the insight.
reklews is offline   Send a private message to reklews Find more posts by reklews Add reklews to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2013, 01:09 PM   #11
Senior Moderator

Official Member #: 140

Reputation Level: 46
Chemax has a spectacular aura aboutChemax has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Originally Posted by reklews View Post
First time doing this on my Maxima.I've changed alternators on my other vehicles, but never had to work in this tight of an area before. Thanks for the insight.
Tell us how it goes and throw in any tips/pics that might help others out.

mmm.... chorizo
-csiepka
Chemax is offline   Send a private message to Chemax Find more posts by Chemax Add Chemax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2013, 07:00 PM   #12
The Go To Guy

Official Member #: 59

Reputation Level: 22
Mr DoLLa has a spectacular aura aboutMr DoLLa has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

Banner of The Month  

I remove the fans and radiator. Better safe than sorry. Might bang into the radiator and now you gotta replace that too. Whats an extra 5 minutes and a $13 of prestone 50/50 really worth besides the $13?
Old 06-24-2013, 10:18 PM   #13

Official Member #: 6302

maxlover is an unknown quantity at this point

So just did this job the other weekend and thought I would throw in my two cents. I did not remove the radiator, nor did I use the drop the compressor method.

I removed the electric fans. I could get to everything with basic tools, including the lower alternator bolt. If I remember correctly I wormed my hand in from the top.
The alternator came forward, then alongside the radiator, and out the top where the fan used to be.
The problem came when I went to put that bottom bolt back in. What I ended up doing was using a pair of the heavy duty mechanical fingers from northern tools. They had a probably two foot flexible neck on them. I grabbed the head of the bolt with them and went in above the exhaust. This got it to the hole and I had a partner jiggle the alternator while I slipped it in.

OH! also in case you haven't done an alternator before take a look at the bushing where the top bolt goes through. It may be pushed out a little too far to fit in the slot. In case it is, just pound it back in a little bit and you should have the clearance to slide it in.

It may be easier to do it the other way but mine was an emergency fix the day before work so speed was of the essence

Total time on the job was probably 1.5 to 2 hours. It wasn't that bad at all.
maxlover is offline   Send a private message to maxlover Find more posts by maxlover Add maxlover to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-25-2013, 12:20 AM   #14
Burnt Orange

BurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by maxlover View Post
So just did this job the other weekend and thought I would throw in my two cents. I did not remove the radiator, nor did I use the drop the compressor method.

I removed the electric fans. I could get to everything with basic tools, including the lower alternator bolt. If I remember correctly I wormed my hand in from the top.
The alternator came forward, then alongside the radiator, and out the top where the fan used to be.
The problem came when I went to put that bottom bolt back in. What I ended up doing was using a pair of the heavy duty mechanical fingers from northern tools. They had a probably two foot flexible neck on them. I grabbed the head of the bolt with them and went in above the exhaust. This got it to the hole and I had a partner jiggle the alternator while I slipped it in.

OH! also in case you haven't done an alternator before take a look at the bushing where the top bolt goes through. It may be pushed out a little too far to fit in the slot. In case it is, just pound it back in a little bit and you should have the clearance to slide it in.

It may be easier to do it the other way but mine was an emergency fix the day before work so speed was of the essence

Total time on the job was probably 1.5 to 2 hours. It wasn't that bad at all.
Thats a good time. This R&R pays 1.5 points, in essence @2 hrs, you would loose .5 of a point in pay....thats why I do it from the bottom. Its much quicker and easier this way for me, although im lucky and I get to stand under the hoist instead of bending over and hurting my back which has already been abused too much. (No funny jokes...)
-=My Build Tread=-
BurntOrangeAppeal is offline   Send a private message to BurntOrangeAppeal Find more posts by BurntOrangeAppeal Add BurntOrangeAppeal to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-25-2013, 12:28 AM   #15

Official Member #: 6302

maxlover is an unknown quantity at this point

ya a lift surely would have come in handy, but for a bumbling mechanic like me with a floor jack I was glad to have it done so quickly.
I'm sure that it would be smoother the second time around since I wouldn't have to decide how I was going about it.
As a side note do you guys ever use those creepers? I always feel like I would rather just be on the ground.
maxlover is offline   Send a private message to maxlover Find more posts by maxlover Add maxlover to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-25-2013, 12:39 AM   #16
Burnt Orange

Originally Posted by maxlover View Post
ya a lift surely would have come in handy, but for a bumbling mechanic like me with a floor jack I was glad to have it done so quickly.
I'm sure that it would be smoother the second time around since I wouldn't have to decide how I was going about it.
As a side note do you guys ever use those creepers? I always feel like I would rather just be on the ground.
At home is a pair of padded garage foam mats that interlock. No creeper. The only time I use a creeper when I do inspections under big trucks and I need to roll and inspect.
-=My Build Tread=-