Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > How To's & DIY Mods > Engine, Trans, F/I & Tuning

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 12-25-2010, 03:52 PM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 1

Reputation Level: 20
EddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to behold

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Visit EddyMaxx's Facebook Visit EddyMaxx's PS3 Profile Visit EddyMaxx's YouTube
Default How to Paint Your Upper Intake Manifold

Courtesy of $chumacher from rs25.com

The concept is the same for 6thgens.

-------------------

Hi, guys and girls.

I did this refurb a year ago but thought I'd post here as it might be useful to some of you.

Here goes:

I've been keeping busy lately and I'm always finding something to do on the car myself and not paying tuners etc hundreds for minor jobs. A well known tuner over here charges over $550 to do this job. Click the image to open in full size.

When I got the car over a year ago, I was happy with the bodywork but wasn't that impressed with the engine bay. It didn't look bad, but it didn't look anything special, either. Everything looked a little dull and the manifold was flaking like a biatch. Me being a cleaning freak, I couldn't resist....
First up, you'll need these products to do the job:

Automotive Nitromors
An Etch Primer
VHT Wrinkle Plus Coating (good for upto 350F)
Wire brush
Masking Tape

Click the image to open in full size.

(The black enamel is for something else)

Manifold removed:

Here's what the engine bay looked like with it removed:

Make sure you block the open ports with something to stop anything falling in there. In this case, I simply used some bog roll.

Remove everything screwed into the manifold.

Use the wire brush to remove all loose flakes and then hit it with the Nitromors paint remover. When it comes to applying the Nitromors, simply dab on with a small brush and leave for around 10 mins before hosing off. If there's still some paint on the manifold, just repeat the previous step.

Here's what it should look like once you're done:

I then left it in a warm area for around an hour so that the moisture could evaporate.

Next was to mask up all the 'bits'. You don't have to mask everything, but I wanted it exactly like Subaru intended.

Time for some primer to go on.

Before you go spraying anything, make sure you have something to raise it from the floor or spray it on something much higher than the floor. Also, devise a way of holding the manifold without touching the paint. I just screwed 4 bolts into the injector rail holes (2 each side).
I then sprayed 3 coats of the primer 10 mins apart (that's what it said on the tin).

The instructions said it was overpaintable in 2 hours.

2 hours later and it's time to spray on the wrinkle paint. To achieve the wrinkle effect, your first coat should be the thickest followed by several thin ones, 2-3 mins apart. I went for 5 thin coats with a sprinkling on top for a sixth.

Place the manifold in a warm area for 48 hours and let it dry.

Here it is 2 days later:

Masking tape removed:

Here's a colour match with a couple of old flakes:

I then cleaned up all the bits that were screwed onto the manifold (I like things to be clean), and screwed them back on.

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
EddyMaxx is offline   Send a private message to EddyMaxx Find more posts by EddyMaxx Add EddyMaxx to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top