Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Extended Maxima Generation Family
my4thgen.org my5thgen.org my6thgen.org my7thgen.org my8thgen.org myxgen.org
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > How To's & DIY Mods > Engine, Trans, F/I & Tuning

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 08-29-2010, 09:15 PM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 1

Reputation Level: 20
EddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to behold

Visit EddyMaxx's Facebook Visit EddyMaxx's PS3 Profile Visit EddyMaxx's Twitter Visit EddyMaxx's YouTube Visit EddyMaxx's Xbox Gamercard
Default How to Change Your Transmission Fluid (Drain & Refill)

Things You'll Need:
  • Jack
  • 2 jack stands
  • Fluid catch pan
  • 1/2-inch drive ratchet
  • Socket set
  • Funnel with plastic tube
  • 3.5 quarts of Genuine Nissan Automatic transmission fluid

1. Drive your 6thgen (04-06) around for 10 to 15 minutes to heat the transmission fluid. The hotter the transmission fluid, the more fluid will come out of the transmission.

2. Open the hood and remove the transmission dipstick. The dipstick in the 2005 Nissan Maxima is located on the passenger-side rear of the engine. Look for the yellow handle that says "automatic transmission fluid." Set the dipstick aside.

3. Jack up the 6thgen and put jack stands behind each front wheel. Make sure that the jack stands are securely under the frame rail on both sides of the Maxima. Lower the jack so that the Maxima rests evenly on the jack stands.

4. Crawl under the driver side of the 6thgen and find the transmission fluid drain plug. The plug on the 6thgen is located on the bottom of the transmission.

5. Slide the fluid catch pan underneath the drain plug on the bottom of the transmission. Unscrew the transmission drain plug with the 1/2-inch drive ratchet and a socket. Finish removing the drain plug with your hand. Wait for all of the transmission fluid to drain out and screw the drain plug back into the bottom of the transmission. Tighten the drain plug with the 1/2-inch drive ratchet and socket.

6. Slide the transmission fluid catch pan out from under the 6thgen. Put the funnel into the dipstick tube located on the passenger side rear of the engine. Pour in three quarts of the "Genuine Nissan Automatic Transmission Fluid". Put the dipstick back in the tube.

7. Crank the engine and it run for about two to three minutes. Check the transmission fluid level on the dipstick. The fluid level should be just a little bit below the full mark. Turn off the engine and remove the dipstick again.

8. Pour in the other half quart of transmission fluid and put the dipstick back in the tube. Close the hood.

9. Jack up the 2 6thgen and pull the jack stands out. Lower the Maxima to the ground.

Tips & Warnings
  • The engine has to be running for a few minutes before you can get an accurate reading of the transmission fluid level on the transmission dipstick.
  • You can buy Genuine Nissan Automatic Transmission Fluid at a Nissan dealership or most auto parts stores.
  • Always wear safety glasses when replacing transmission fluid.
  • Always be careful around any vehicle that is sitting on jack stands. The vehicle could fall off of the jack stands if it is not secured properly.

Credit: http://www.ehow.com/
04' Infiniti FX35 - [Stock/Family Vehicle]
02' Nissan Altima - [Sold-1st Car]

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
ahmirj (12-29-2012), GateWay (09-28-2011), KRod877 (09-24-2011), Latinmaxima (05-14-2011)
EddyMaxx is offline   Send a private message to EddyMaxx Find more posts by EddyMaxx Add EddyMaxx to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 08-29-2010, 09:16 PM   #2
Administrator

Official Member #: 75

Qwikhas will become famous soon enough

Default Re: How to Change Your Transmission Fluid (Drain & Refill)

Good stuff.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:43 AM   #3
Official Member

Official Member #: 472

Reputation Level: 6
scrui is on a distinguished road

EddyMax, nice write up!
I'm about to do mine, but manual states 7+ qts.
When you did yours, did you do it a few times ?
Old 03-10-2011, 08:31 AM   Thread Starter #4

EddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to behold

Visit EddyMaxx's Facebook Visit EddyMaxx's PS3 Profile Visit EddyMaxx's Twitter Visit EddyMaxx's YouTube Visit EddyMaxx's Xbox Gamercard

Originally Posted by scrui View Post
EddyMax, nice write up!
I'm about to do mine, but manual states 7+ qts.
When you did yours, did you do it a few times ?

Hey please read this:

http://my6thgen.org/f7/transmisson-fluids-238-post38703/#post38703

That 7+ qts is for a Flush not drain/refill.

Drain refill is what you want.

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
EddyMaxx is offline   Send a private message to EddyMaxx Find more posts by EddyMaxx Add EddyMaxx to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-10-2011, 09:16 AM   #5

Official Member #: 514

Reputation Level: 0
MrBruno is an unknown quantity at this point

How often does this need to be done? I had mine drained and refilled quite a while back. Seems like someone told me it didn't need to be done that often.

Posted Via Tapatalk
MrBruno is offline   Send a private message to MrBruno Find more posts by MrBruno Add MrBruno to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-10-2011, 09:16 AM   Thread Starter #6

Originally Posted by MrBruno View Post
How often does this need to be done? I had mine drained and refilled quite a while back. Seems like someone told me it didn't need to be done that often.

Posted Via Tapatalk
Its all based on driving habits. I would just normally check it from time to time. As long as its nice and red... then you are good.

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
Old 03-10-2011, 11:14 AM   #7
Official Member

Official Member #: 584

Reputation Level: 5
timpol is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MrBruno View Post

Posted Via Tapatalk
I'd check it every time you're changing your oil assuming you're on a 3K to 5K changing schedule. If it's red or doesn't have the burnt smell, you're probably OK. I do drain / fill on mine every six months or so but then again I drive about 20,000 miles a year in a desert.
timpol is offline   Send a private message to timpol Find more posts by timpol Add timpol to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-10-2011, 01:32 PM   #8
Official Member

Official Member #: 472

Reputation Level: 6
scrui is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by EddyMaxx View Post
Hey please read this:

http://my6thgen.org/showthread.php?p=38703#post38703

got it !!!

Thanks.
Old 05-08-2011, 04:30 PM   #9

Official Member #: 2292

hperry is an unknown quantity at this point

About to do this. Matik K is expensive stuff ($10.99/quart at dealer)!

Thanks
hperry is offline   Send a private message to hperry Find more posts by hperry Add hperry to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 05-09-2011, 02:02 AM   #10
Mile High City 6th Gen

Official Member #: 483

Reputation Level: 10
vitec115 is on a distinguished road

Visit vitec115's PS3 Profile Visit vitec115's Xbox Gamercard

Originally Posted by hperry View Post
About to do this. Matik K is expensive stuff ($10.99/quart at dealer)!

Thanks
Look on eBay dude, I found some there and I only pay $4 a qt. Bought 10 been such a good deal.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:46 AM   #11

Official Member #: 2292

hperry is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by vitec115 View Post
Look on eBay dude, I found some there and I only pay $4 a qt. Bought 10 been such a good deal.
I looked on ebay but I didn't see that! Seems too cheap. Sure it's legit?
hperry is offline   Send a private message to hperry Find more posts by hperry Add hperry to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 05-14-2011, 02:50 PM   #12
The Local 6.5 Gen

Official Member #: 564

Reputation Level: 22
cgoss will become famous soon enoughcgoss will become famous soon enough

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

/ Point Value: 10

/ Point Value: 5

Originally Posted by hperry View Post
I looked on ebay but I didn't see that! Seems too cheap. Sure it's legit?
Hit up Dolla. He can get it to you cheaper.
http://my6thgen.org/members/mr-dolla/
Old 05-18-2011, 03:18 AM   #13
East LA's Official 6th Gen Maxima

Official Member #: 206

Reputation Level: 10
georgelv1999 is on a distinguished road

I'd done the tranny oil change about 3 times, and all 3 times I get about 4.5 quarts coming out. Just and FYI.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:24 PM   #14

Official Member #: 1973

bone-daddy is on a distinguished road

Hey I just wanted to add that the socket needed to remove the drain plug is a 10mm Hex. Also check your oil catch pan for cracks before filling it with nasty old ATF or you will have a big mess to clean up
bone-daddy is offline   Send a private message to bone-daddy Find more posts by bone-daddy Add bone-daddy to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-27-2011, 11:52 PM   #15
Official Member

Official Member #: 910

Reputation Level: 4
VK818 is an unknown quantity at this point

Did it myself, and it was BEYOND easy. Runs so smooth now, but I do feel a little bumps. I've had my mounts checked...sure enough they have to be changed. Thank god I have still have some time left on my CarMax warranty.
mny5506 (04-12-2012)
VK818 is offline   Send a private message to VK818 Find more posts by VK818 Add VK818 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 12-16-2011, 08:08 AM   #16
Premier Member

Official Member #: 2029

Reputation Level: 14
MAXnRLXn will become famous soon enoughMAXnRLXn will become famous soon enough

My Awards:

/ Point Value: 5

Supporting Family Member  

/ Point Value: 10

im pretty sure you have to check the fluid while engine is running also... didnt see that up here.. should be up on there! people think its like regular oil probably
MAXnRLXn is offline   Send a private message to MAXnRLXn Find more posts by MAXnRLXn Add MAXnRLXn to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-12-2012, 01:07 AM   #17

Official Member #: 4901

Dotson817 is an unknown quantity at this point

Things You'll Need:
  • Jack
  • 2 jack stands
  • Fluid catch pan
  • 1/2-inch drive ratchet
  • Socket set
  • Funnel with plastic tube
  • 3.5 quarts of Genuine Nissan Automatic transmission fluid

1. Drive your 6thgen (04-06) around for 10 to 15 minutes to heat the transmission fluid. The hotter the transmission fluid, the more fluid will come out of the transmission.

2. Open the hood and remove the transmission dipstick. The dipstick in the 2005 Nissan Maxima is located on the passenger-side rear of the engine. Look for the yellow handle that says "automatic transmission fluid." Set the dipstick aside.

3. Jack up the 6thgen and put jack stands behind each front wheel. Make sure that the jack stands are securely under the frame rail on both sides of the Maxima. Lower the jack so that the Maxima rests evenly on the jack stands.

4. Crawl under the driver side of the 6thgen and find the transmission fluid drain plug. The plug on the 6thgen is located on the bottom of the transmission.

5. Slide the fluid catch pan underneath the drain plug on the bottom of the transmission. Unscrew the transmission drain plug with the 1/2-inch drive ratchet and a socket. Finish removing the drain plug with your hand. Wait for all of the transmission fluid to drain out and screw the drain plug back into the bottom of the transmission. Tighten the drain plug with the 1/2-inch drive ratchet and socket.

6. Slide the transmission fluid catch pan out from under the 6thgen. Put the funnel into the dipstick tube located on the passenger side rear of the engine. Pour in three quarts of the "Genuine Nissan Automatic Transmission Fluid". Put the dipstick back in the tube.

7. Crank the engine and it run for about two to three minutes. Check the transmission fluid level on the dipstick. The fluid level should be just a little bit below the full mark. Turn off the engine and remove the dipstick again.

8. Pour in the other half quart of transmission fluid and put the dipstick back in the tube. Close the hood.

9. Jack up the 2 6thgen and pull the jack stands out. Lower the Maxima to the ground.

Tips & Warnings
  • The engine has to be running for a few minutes before you can get an accurate reading of the transmission fluid level on the transmission dipstick.
  • You can buy Genuine Nissan Automatic Transmission Fluid at a Nissan dealership or most auto parts stores.
  • Always wear safety glasses when replacing transmission fluid.
  • Always be careful around any vehicle that is sitting on jack stands. The vehicle could fall off of the jack stands if it is not secured properly.

Credit: eHow | How to Videos, Articles & More - Discover the expert in you. | eHow.com
I just got an 06 Maxima and joined this site, already have seen so many helpful threads! I'm probably going to do this soon because I have read a lot of reviews saying that the transmissions in the 06 Automatic model go bad a lot? I hope I don't run into that soon:/
Dotson817 is offline   Send a private message to Dotson817 Find more posts by Dotson817 Add Dotson817 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-12-2012, 01:09 AM   #18

Originally Posted by VK818 View Post
Did it myself, and it was BEYOND easy. Runs so smooth now, but I do feel a little bumps. I've had my mounts checked...sure enough they have to be changed. Thank god I have still have some time left on my CarMax warranty.
I have about 2 more weeks of Carmax Limited Warranty, did you have CarMax check your mounts? and when do you know if they should be checked,

Thanks in advance!
Dotson817 is offline   Send a private message to Dotson817 Find more posts by Dotson817 Add Dotson817 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-12-2012, 08:20 AM   #19
Official Member

Official Member #: 1143

Reputation Level: 4
mny5506 is an unknown quantity at this point

It's cool to have the warranty, but just don't have CarMAX look your vehicle over.
mny5506 is offline   Send a private message to mny5506 Find more posts by mny5506 Add mny5506 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-12-2012, 10:35 PM   #20

Official Member #: 4547

rezmedic is an unknown quantity at this point

How about the filter? It looks like a PITA to get to the pan bolts on the left, from driving PoV, side of trans pan as they seem to be under frame....

Track your Fuel usage and MPG via txt, web or mobile web at www.fuelly.com
rezmedic is offline   Send a private message to rezmedic Find more posts by rezmedic Add rezmedic to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-12-2012, 11:06 PM   #21

Originally Posted by bone-daddy View Post
Hey I just wanted to add that the socket needed to remove the drain plug is a 10mm Hex.

The one on my car is 19mm.

rezmedic is offline   Send a private message to rezmedic Find more posts by rezmedic Add rezmedic to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-12-2012, 11:45 PM   #22

Hey please read this:

04-06: Transmisson Fluids - my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum

I just did my drain and refill, put 4 Quarts and after 10+ mins of running its not even registering on the dip-stick

I took it off jackstands before checking the fluid, figuring that's how it runs and it would more level and accurate.

Old 04-13-2012, 12:51 AM   #23

Took 5 quarts to get it in range; parked level, off jack stands, 20+ minutes of idle and around 5 miles of driving. /shrug.

We had driven about 300 miles prior to draining/refill so it was really warm, maybe that and having front about 2 feet off ground contributed to the "extra" amount.

So anyone should consider getting a Qt or 2 extra "just in case" if, as we do, you live in remote area where a parts store is not just around the corner.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-13-2012, 03:15 AM   #24
Peoria's Finest Majestic

Official Member #: 4414

Reputation Level: 3
MaxiM1923 is an unknown quantity at this point

Visit MaxiM1923's Xbox Gamercard

This is great! When I do mine I usually fill turn on.. Put Reverse.. Drive.. All the way down to 1st 2nd 3rd ect.. Back to D then R again and park check and add what it needs =) never letting the brake go of course =) I find it easier and faster this way plus putting in gears helps getting the fluid on level faster
MaxiM1923 is offline   Send a private message to MaxiM1923 Find more posts by MaxiM1923 Add MaxiM1923 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-13-2012, 03:16 AM   #25

Originally Posted by mny5506 View Post
It's cool to have the warranty, but just don't have CarMAX look your vehicle over.
Why not have carmax look the vehicle over?