Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Extended Maxima Generation Family
my4thgen.org my5thgen.org my6thgen.org my7thgen.org my8thgen.org myxgen.org
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > How To's & DIY Mods > Engine, Trans, F/I & Tuning

Old 09-10-2010, 09:15 PM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 1

Reputation Level: 20
EddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to behold

Visit EddyMaxx's Facebook Visit EddyMaxx's PS3 Profile Visit EddyMaxx's Twitter Visit EddyMaxx's YouTube Visit EddyMaxx's Xbox Gamercard
Default How to Change Your CVT Transmission Fluid (Drain/Refill)

Read This Thread First Before Moving Forward: http://my6thgen.org/f7/when-should-i-drain-refill-flush-my-cvt-transmission-3153/#post53356

So I finally put this together for you 2007-2008 6thgenners. This write-up is for a Drain and Refill ONLY.

For Flush Check Here: http://my6thgen.org/f107/how-change-your-cvt-transmission-fluid-flush-2822/#post48151

Here is a high-level summary of the whole process:
1. Remove drain plug from CVT oil pan.
2. Drain fluid
3. Reinstall drain plug in oil pan
4. Fill CVT with tranny fluid at the charging pipe
5. Drive CVT for 10 min
6. Check fluid level.
7. Add fluid if necessary

Now on the actual procedure

Remember to only use OEM Nissan Fluid. Specs below:

CVT AUTO
Type: NISSAN CVT Transmission Fluid
Part #: 999MP-NS200P
Price: $14.95/qt (You need approx. 6-7 quarts)
Order Link: http://www.mynismo.com/products/?id=4401

Orginal Write-up Credits: dagreek from http://www.nissanclub.com/

Tools/supplies Needed:
  • Pliers
  • 10mm Allen Wrench, T-handle
  • 1.5 ft. of clear flexible tubing (1 in. diameter)
  • Container marked of f at 1 qt. (did this with a measuring cup and sharpie marker)
  • Collection pan to collect the used transmission fluid
  • Flat Head Screwdriver
  • Transmission Fluid Funnel
  • 6-7 Quarts of NISSAN Matic-D Automatic Transmission Fluid
Experience needed: I would say some experience working on cars, at least be able to do your own oil changes before you try to do this. You will also need one person around to help.

Click the image to open in full size.

Step 1: Drive car around for about 10 minutes to warm everything up. Park it, run through all the gears (P, R, N, D, and then back to P) and leave the engine running. Pull the transmission dip stick out, wipe clean, insert back in but rotate 180 degrees and push all the way down. Pull back out and check the level (remember where it is so you can refill back to same location, should be at the second notch). This is also where you will add transmission fluid.

Step 2: Raise the front end of the vehicle somehow. I have small ramps I use for changing my oil so I drove up onto these. Turn off the car.

Step 3. With the dip stick pulled out. Place a collection pan underneath the transmission drain plug. Using the hex screwdriver/tool, unscrew the drain plug. Notice that it doesnít take much force to unscrew this so donít over tighten when putting back on. Allow all of the fluid to drain, I left it to drain for about 15 min.

Step 4. Screw the drain plug back on. I think you can replace the o-ring on the drain plug but I didnít do this.

Step 5. Measure how much fluid you drained out by using your container that you marked off at 1 qt. I drain roughly 4.5 qts. Add the same amount of fluid you took out back into the transmission through the recharging pipe (same place you pulled the dip stick out) using your funnel.

Step 6. Lower the car down. Run it back through all the gears and check the fluid level just as before. Adjust the fluid as needed.
04' Infiniti FX35 - [Stock/Family Vehicle]
02' Nissan Altima - [Sold-1st Car]

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
EddyMaxx is offline   Send a private message to EddyMaxx Find more posts by EddyMaxx Add EddyMaxx to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-25-2010, 03:07 PM   #2
Official Member

Official Member #: 470

Reputation Level: 5
jgadlage is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Re: How to Change Your CVT Transmission Fluid (Drain/Refill)

So I have a 2007 with about 46,500 miles and I decided to do a CVT drain and fill today. I bought the car with about 36,000 miles and decided that today would be a good day (got my shipment of 14 quarts of CVT flud as I planned to also do a drain and fill on my wife's 2007 Murano if everything went alright). I looked at the instructions on this org and pulled the Max up onto some ramps in my garage and got started.

The Allen bolt was on there pretty good so I had to use the handle of my jack as a breaker bar. Not to much force was applies and the bolt loosened. I had funnel on top of a catch can (milk jug marked off with 1qt increments) under the car so I could catch the escaping and measure the escaping fluid. I thought easy, I could control the flow and if it got to about 4 quarts, I could stop the flow, empty it and continue on. I keep loosening it and all of the sudden the bolt comes flying out and there is a torrent of CVT fluid rushing out of my car and spilling everywhere. Oh SH!T

I am trying to get the funnel to get all of the fluid into the milk jug, I can't control the flow of fluid coming out, I am not sure where the plug has gone (unknown to me the plug has now settled itself at the bottom of the funnel and is now impeeding the flow of the fluid going into the jug. Wife is calling out to me "How is it going honey". I said back "Doing great, almost done", but really I am saying SH!T as I rush to find a roll of paper towels to clean up the now spreading CVT fluid on the floor. She won't come out here and really check, but I know she ask about the stain later on - just had a little spill honey...

Now I am not sure how much fluid really is supposed to go back in the car, but I'll start out at 4 because there was a bunch that came out of it. I get the spill under control, tighten up the bolt and start to refill it. I put in 4 quarts, start the car, go through all the gears (P, R, N D, 1 and back), check the level- it's at the 1st notch, put another quart in just for safe measure. Checked again - it is just under the 2nd notch so everything is alright. I took the car for a drive, came home, checked the level again and everything seems to be alright. Not that I noticed anything wrong before, but it can't be doing any harm as the fluid that came out was nice and dark.

My advice to those of you who are going to do this on your own, it isn't hard at all, but make sure you have a clean oil catch basin so you can catch this fluid. It doesn't come out like doing a regular oil change, it gushes!
Old 09-25-2010, 03:10 PM   Thread Starter #3

EddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to behold

Visit EddyMaxx's Facebook Visit EddyMaxx's PS3 Profile Visit EddyMaxx's Twitter Visit EddyMaxx's YouTube Visit EddyMaxx's Xbox Gamercard

Yeah that allen key requires some elbow grease.

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
EddyMaxx is offline   Send a private message to EddyMaxx Find more posts by EddyMaxx Add EddyMaxx to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-13-2010, 08:34 AM   #4
Donating Member

Official Member #: 67

Reputation Level: 7
cubbyjg is on a distinguished road

My Awards:

/ Point Value: 5

Originally Posted by jgadlage View Post
I keep loosening it and all of the sudden the bolt comes flying out and there is a torrent of CVT fluid rushing out of my car and spilling everywhere. Oh SH!T

I am trying to get the funnel to get all of the fluid into the milk jug, I can't control the flow of fluid coming out, I am not sure where the plug has gone (unknown to me the plug has now settled itself at the bottom of the funnel and is now impeeding the flow of the fluid going into the jug. Wife is calling out to me "How is it going honey". I said back "Doing great, almost done", but really I am saying SH!T as I rush to find a roll of paper towels to clean up the now spreading CVT fluid on the floor. She won't come out here and really check, but I know she ask about the stain later on - just had a little spill honey...
That made my morning jgadlage. Thanks for sharing the info about the rate of flow of the old cvt fluid.
cubbyjg is offline   Send a private message to cubbyjg Find more posts by cubbyjg Add cubbyjg to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2010, 08:49 PM   Thread Starter #5

Bump!!

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
Old 10-22-2010, 09:37 PM   #6
Senior Moderator

Official Member #: 63

Reputation Level: 53
1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

/ Point Value: 10

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

V.I.P Member  

/ Point Value: 15

Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

Official Ride  

Originally Posted by jgadlage View Post
So I have a 2007 with about 46,500 miles and I decided to do a CVT drain and fill today. I bought the car with about 36,000 miles and decided that today would be a good day (got my shipment of 14 quarts of CVT flud as I planned to also do a drain and fill on my wife's 2007 Murano if everything went alright). I looked at the instructions on this org and pulled the Max up onto some ramps in my garage and got started.

The Allen bolt was on there pretty good so I had to use the handle of my jack as a breaker bar. Not to much force was applies and the bolt loosened. I had funnel on top of a catch can (milk jug marked off with 1qt increments) under the car so I could catch the escaping and measure the escaping fluid. I thought easy, I could control the flow and if it got to about 4 quarts, I could stop the flow, empty it and continue on. I keep loosening it and all of the sudden the bolt comes flying out and there is a torrent of CVT fluid rushing out of my car and spilling everywhere. Oh SH!T

Now I am not sure how much fluid really is supposed to go back in the car, but I'll start out at 4 because there was a bunch that came out of it. I get the spill under control, tighten up the bolt and start to refill it. I put in 4 quarts, start the car, go through all the gears (P, R, N D, 1 and back), check the level- it's at the 1st notch, put another quart in just for safe measure. Checked again - it is just under the 2nd notch so everything is alright. I took the car for a drive, came home, checked the level again and everything seems to be alright. Not that I noticed anything wrong before, but it can't be doing any harm as the fluid that came out was nice and dark.

My advice to those of you who are going to do this on your own, it isn't hard at all, but make sure you have a clean oil catch basin so you can catch this fluid. It doesn't come out like doing a regular oil change, it gushes!
I can beat that. The first oil change I did on my wife's Altima...I jacked up the car, climbed underneath and pulled the drain plug. As I'm watching the oil drain into the pan, I'm thinking...boy, that oil looks different...kind of milky. Then I realize I pulled the CVT drain plug, NOT the oil drain plug. I then frantically begin trying to get the plug back in as the salesman at the dealership told me when I bought the car that the CVT fluid was about $22/qt. By the time I get the drain plug back in, I realize that I've drained a little over 4 quarts of fluid. Needless to say, this was one of the most expensive oil changes I'd ever done. It was a lot of fun explaining to my wife how I "saved" money by doing the oil change myself. I'd never had a car with a typical drain plug on the trans...never expected on the Altima, either.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:43 AM   Thread Starter #7

BUMP!!!!!!!!!

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
Old 03-03-2011, 05:53 PM   #8
Chi Towns Finest

Official Member #: 508

Reputation Level: 6
Javi is an unknown quantity at this point

Im going to attempt this over the weekend, should be fun
Old 03-03-2011, 06:07 PM   #9
The Local 6.5 Gen

Official Member #: 564

Reputation Level: 22
cgoss will become famous soon enoughcgoss will become famous soon enough

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Use a 5 quart jug to drain into if you have one.

Posted Via Tapatalk
Old 03-07-2011, 09:35 PM   #10
East LA's Official 6th Gen Maxima

Official Member #: 206

Reputation Level: 10
georgelv1999 is on a distinguished road

Almost same procedure for the 5-speed, but the bolt is in a different place. I also did the whole measuring thing, and I also spilled it everywhere. Good fun trying to clean it up off the floor.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:52 PM   #11

Official Member #: 2137

Reputation Level: 0
venge001 is an unknown quantity at this point

Did this today. Thanks for the great How-To!
venge001 is offline   Send a private message to venge001 Find more posts by venge001 Add venge001 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 05-15-2011, 06:46 PM   #12

Official Member #: 1770

ampUSMC is an unknown quantity at this point

anyone know if you can install a remote a/t filter on a 05 max http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...0_____:noidea:
ampUSMC is offline   Send a private message to ampUSMC Find more posts by ampUSMC Add ampUSMC to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 05-15-2011, 07:22 PM   Thread Starter #13

Originally Posted by ampUSMC View Post
anyone know if you can install a remote a/t filter on a 05 max http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...0_____:noidea:
Yeah you can... but you don't really need it.

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
Old 05-15-2011, 09:51 PM   #14

Official Member #: 1770

ampUSMC is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks eddy
ampUSMC is offline   Send a private message to ampUSMC Find more posts by ampUSMC Add ampUSMC to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-15-2011, 10:51 AM   #15

Official Member #: 1452

Reputation Level: 4
Jason5291 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the write up, this was an easy job. I am glad I did not pay someone to do this service. I thought I would be able to get this done without making a mess but I was wrong. I even had a big 5 quart jug to drain in...that fluid GUSHES out and makes a mess, ha ha. I should have used large towels instead of hand cloths underneath... My shirt, arms, and and concrete still got fluid on them. Thank god I had some kitty litter hanging around the house.
Jason5291 is offline   Send a private message to Jason5291 Find more posts by Jason5291 Add Jason5291 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2011, 07:59 AM   #16

Official Member #: 181

Reputation Level: 5
Smoken'07 is an unknown quantity at this point

Can I ask a stupid question? Why do you need 6-7 qts when it seems the average is about 4.5? I've yet to do this but thinking if I only need 5 qts tops, why am I spending another $44 for fluid not needed?
bee2ndmax (12-02-2013)
Smoken'07 is offline   Send a private message to Smoken'07 Find more posts by Smoken'07 Add Smoken'07 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2011, 04:23 PM   #17

Official Member #: 1452

Reputation Level: 4
Jason5291 is an unknown quantity at this point

I bought 5 quarts.
Jason5291 is offline   Send a private message to Jason5291 Find more posts by Jason5291 Add Jason5291 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-16-2012, 12:00 PM   Thread Starter #18

Originally Posted by Smoken'07 View Post
Can I ask a stupid question? Why do you need 6-7 qts when it seems the average is about 4.5? I've yet to do this but thinking if I only need 5 qts tops, why am I spending another $44 for fluid not needed?
Originally Posted by Jason5291 View Post
I bought 5 quarts.
Think its required 5.5 quarts. So 6 is ok.

7 is just for the backup in case you lose one. lol

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
Old 01-16-2012, 12:01 PM   #19
I Am Just A Man

Official Member #: 175

Deadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the rough

b u m p

Currently Own: 2004 Silver 6th Gen / 2009 White 7th Gen / 2011 Black 7th Gen

Disclaimer: By being a member of my4th/5th/6th/7thgen.org, you acknowledge and agree that if no pics are posted within 24 hours of any installed modification, you can, and will, be automaticly BANNED for 48 hours.
Deadbolt is offline   Send a private message to Deadbolt Find more posts by Deadbolt Add Deadbolt to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 12-04-2013, 03:39 PM   #20

Official Member #: 14561

swampczar is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I have a question about this procedure. I have a 2010 Altima coupe and I am trying to change the CVT fluid, however, the drain plug is on the side of the transmission and I cant drain all of it out of the pan.

So, I was considering using a pump to extract the fluid from the transmission refuel line (where you pour the fluid it).

Is that ok to do? Will it hurt anything? My car has about 62,000 miles and the fluid is really dirty.

Please let me know if possible.

Thanks guys
swampczar is offline   Send a private message to swampczar Find more posts by swampczar Add swampczar to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-30-2014, 09:20 AM   #21

Official Member #: 15664

dennyrosario05 is an unknown quantity at this point

nice thanks a lot ill try this next weekend
Old 10-01-2014, 09:45 AM   #22

Official Member #: 15020

Reputation Level: 1
07BluMagic is an unknown quantity at this point

Visit 07BluMagic's Xbox Gamercard

4 quarts? Why is it only quarts being drained out? I was told i needed to drain the whole 10.5 quarts to fill it up by Nissan
07BluMagic is offline   Send a private message to 07BluMagic Find more posts by 07BluMagic Add 07BluMagic to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top