Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > How To's & DIY Mods > Engine, Trans, F/I & Tuning

Old 10-31-2018, 10:45 PM   #51
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 18757

Reputation Level: 0
shinyoungjoe is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 67%
Activity: 67% Activity: 67% Activity: 67%
Default Re: 2004 - 2006 Valve Body Replacement

Hello everyone.
I came across this posting and I can only thank all of you for providing such detailed comments, especially the original poster (rpsuprdave). The only concern regarding the post is that it has been few years since the original post and the uploaded pictures are no longer available (if I am incorrect, kindly provide some more details as to where I can find the original photos, as well).

2005 Nissan Maxima, SE
Automatic Transmission
75,000 Miles

So my story goes like this. I am the original owner of the vehicle and since 2 year ago (2016) I have been having car problem VERY similar to what this post has been sharing. At first the car would jerk when changing gears from 2-3 or and also downshifting from 3-2 via E-Shift. Then the car did not start one day so I had checked to confirm that the battery was new and that the starter was in a working condition. By reviewing the OBD II code (cannot remember what it was 2 years ago...) and reading other posts then, I had replaced 2 camshaft/crankshaft position sensors (1 under the hood around Bank 1 and the other underneath the car by the transmission). The problem seemed to have gone away until recently this year the problem has come back and the condition seems to be worse than before.

This year, first the OBD II code was P0797. The transmission would be stuck at 5th gear and the jerking problem was present again.

Then there was another OBD II code, P0744. This one I believed to be an electrical issue so I checked all the wirings under the hood and, it turned out that 1 wire (it was underneath the battery, connected by the transmission(?) and car frame) was cut loose due to rust. I went ahead and reconnected the wiring to the transmission(?) and the car frame and since then the OBD II code P0744 seems to be no longer an issue; however, P0797 is still an ongoing issue.

So I initially drained the ATF by the transmission drain plug without removing the transmission pan cover. After replacing the ATF with Nissan Matic K fluid at first the car seemed to be working a bit better, but after a week the OBD II code P0797 came back on and the jerking began again.

So now I am really considering to remove the transmission pan cover to expose the valve body and based on my review elsewhere (please provide me with your thoughts), this particular P0797 code may indicate a bad Pressure Control Solenoid Valve 'C'.

Are my analyses somewhat correct...? If so, where is the Pressure Control Solenoid Valve 'C' located? Is it attached to the valve body inside the transmission pan cover? How many solenoids are in this car? How many pressure control solenoid valves are in this car? How would I properly identify which Pressure Control Solenoid Valve needs replacement/cleanup?

I have a lot of questions and concerns and perhaps it is my searching criteria on Google, but I have not come across a detailed explanation on how to replace the Pressure Control Solenoid Valve 'C' on the 6th generation Maximas...

I am new to this posting and not advanced in car repairs. So any comments/feedback and help with replacing the Pressure Control Solenoid Valve 'C' on this car would be very helpful.

Thank you again everyone!!!
shinyoungjoe is offline   Send a private message to shinyoungjoe Find more posts by shinyoungjoe Add shinyoungjoe to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-01-2018, 10:37 AM   #52
Official Member

Official Member #: 2035

Reputation Level: 9
Costee is on a distinguished road

Participation Level: 33%
Activity: 33% Activity: 33% Activity: 33%

There are three pressure solenoids which may be identified by the colours of their connectors: Valve A is green; Valve B is black, Valve C is blue.
There are five shift solenoid valves with different colour connectors: A is black; B is grey; C is grey; D is green; E is brown.
It seems to me that your pressure valves have become clogged and are gradually becoming defective. Valve C appears to be the worst hit. Even the other error code P0744 points too to a dysfunctional Valve C. You have the option of changing all three pressure valves (located in the valve body) or the valve body unit. It's more expensive to change the valve body but I think it's safer. As for the other option, you could get Rostra solenoid valves, and it will be advisable to change the three instead of one. These are the Rostra part numbers: Valve A: 52-0464; Valve B: 52-0458; Valve C: 52-0466. However, you could get a kit of the three solenoids with the part number 52-9036.
http://www.rostrapowertrain.com/products/52-9036/

Last edited by Costee; 11-01-2018 at 10:57 AM.
Costee is offline   Send a private message to Costee Find more posts by Costee Add Costee to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-01-2018, 09:51 PM   #53

Official Member #: 18757

Reputation Level: 0
shinyoungjoe is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 67%
Activity: 67% Activity: 67% Activity: 67%

Thank you very much for your review and comments Costee!! I will definitely look into these parts and hopefully the problem will be solved. Will post again of results soon!
shinyoungjoe is offline   Send a private message to shinyoungjoe Find more posts by shinyoungjoe Add shinyoungjoe to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top

Tags
2004, 2005, 2006, bad, hard shift, maxima, slam shift, slip, slipping, tranny, transmission, valve body

Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > How To's & DIY Mods > Engine, Trans, F/I & Tuning