Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > How To's & DIY Mods > Suspension, Handling & Brakes

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:47 PM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 5406

Reputation Level: 0
stacks156 is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Help! Brake Question.

Hey guys,

Not sure if I posted this in the right place but bare with me. I have an 04 nissan maxima that I have been the owner of for approximately 3 months. In the 3 months that I've had it I have changed all 4 rusted rotors once and have changed both front and back brake pads several times. However when driven my car seems to continuously make this whining noise. Its gotten A LOT worse now. Its never happened to me before replacing the rotors and the only thing that would make it temporarily stop is when I lightly tap on the breaks but then it starts up again when I take off. Also the break pads no maTter how many times I change them they continue to squeak. This is also extremely annoying. The only thing I have done is spray the rotors and breaks with break cleaner. I was told my brake fluid was dirty but not sure if that's the sole issue. Any suggestions? Any advice? Thanks in advance
stacks156 is offline   Send a private message to stacks156 Find more posts by stacks156 Add stacks156 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-04-2012, 09:03 PM   #2
I Am Just A Man

Official Member #: 175

Reputation Level: 20
Deadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the rough

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Default Re: Help! Brake Question.

What kind of rotors? Brand of brake pads?

Currently Own: 2004 Silver 6th Gen / 2009 White 7th Gen / 2011 Black 7th Gen

Disclaimer: By being a member of my4th/5th/6th/7thgen.org, you acknowledge and agree that if no pics are posted within 24 hours of any installed modification, you can, and will, be automaticly BANNED for 48 hours.
Deadbolt is offline   Send a private message to Deadbolt Find more posts by Deadbolt Add Deadbolt to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-04-2012, 09:23 PM   #3
Executive Member

Official Member #: 684

Reputation Level: 73
Thundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the rough

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

/ Point Value: 10

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

/ Point Value: 5

Default Re: help !

Could it possibly be a wheel bearing?

Originally quoted by SH@Y86
Every time I think of judge Judy I think of her sitting in a court room with a name plate that reads Thundershott
Kenny (10-04-2012)
Thundershott is offline   Send a private message to Thundershott Find more posts by Thundershott Add Thundershott to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-04-2012, 09:41 PM   Thread Starter #4

Originally Posted by Deadbolt View Post
What kind of rotors? Brand of brake pads?
I got the rotors from autozone because they were free not sure of brand. For my next purchase I'm getting a different brand and the brake pads are the duralast from autozone as well.
stacks156 is offline   Send a private message to stacks156 Find more posts by stacks156 Add stacks156 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-04-2012, 09:42 PM   Thread Starter #5

Originally Posted by Thundershott View Post
Not entirely sure but ill have it checked.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:43 PM   #6
I Am Just A Man

Deadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by stacks156 View Post
I got the rotors from autozone because they were free not sure of brand. For my next purchase I'm getting a different brand and the brake pads are the duralast from autozone as well.
Are they ceramic or semi-metallic?

---------- Post added at 06:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:43 PM ----------

Originally Posted by Thundershott View Post
Wheel bearing will not change tone if you press on brakes. It will be a constant whining sound and will increase or decrease when you slow down or accelerate

Disclaimer: By being a member of my4th/5th/6th/7thgen.org, you acknowledge and agree that if no pics are posted within 24 hours of any installed modification, you can, and will, be automaticly BANNED for 48 hours.
Deadbolt is offline   Send a private message to Deadbolt Find more posts by Deadbolt Add Deadbolt to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-04-2012, 09:50 PM   Thread Starter #7

---------- Post added at 06:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:43 PM ----------

Wheel bearing will not change tone if you press on brakes. It will be a constant whining sound and will increase or decrease when you slow down or accelerate

They are semi-metallic
Old 10-04-2012, 09:54 PM   #8
I Am Just A Man

Originally Posted by stacks156 View Post
They are semi-metallic
The semi-metallic will make a weird sound while driving. It's part of the material used to make that pad. I'm guessing it wasn't the highest quality they had, which makes the situation even more clear.

Try upgrading to ceramic and see if it makes a difference.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:01 PM   Thread Starter #9

The semi-metallic will make a weird sound while driving. It's part of the material used to make that pad. I'm guessing it wasn't the highest quality they had, which makes the situation even more clear.

Try upgrading to ceramic and see if it makes a difference.
I've had ceramic pads before but there wasn't that much of a difference but ill give it another try as far as the squeaking goes. Not sure what could be causing the whining noise while driving though
Old 10-04-2012, 10:02 PM   #10
Glendales Official 6th Gen

Official Member #: 2651

Reputation Level: 35
Kenny has a spectacular aura aboutKenny has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Visit Kenny's PS3 Profile Visit Kenny's Xbox Gamercard

Actually it does change when you brake, the tone changes when I apply the brakes on my car and I have a bad wheel bearing

Follow Me On Instagram/Twitter:@0mg350z
Kenny is offline   Send a private message to Kenny Find more posts by Kenny Add Kenny to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2012, 12:15 AM   #11
Senior Moderator

Official Member #: 63

Reputation Level: 58
1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

V.I.P Member  

/ Point Value: 15

Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

Official Ride  

Wheel bearing noise will change harmonic frequency according to the speed of the vehicle. If the noise goes away when you tap the brakes, I'd rule out the wheel bearings. Something isn't right in the brake system...

I've never liked the standard DuraLast pads, I use the DuraLast Golds on every brake job that I do. I also use the DuraLast rotors on all of my brake jobs, and I've never had anybody complain of any noise.

Are your pads binding up in the brackets? I know that lately, the pads that I'm getting from Autozone have had the brake linings powdercoated to prevent rust. While this is a nice idea on their part, I've found that it makes the pads fit VERY tightly into the brackets. I've been taking a file and filing down the little tabs on either end of the pad just enough that the pads slide nice and loosely inside the bracket. Try that and see if it helps at all.