Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > How To's & DIY Mods > Audio, Video & Electronics

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:34 PM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 1

Reputation Level: 20
EddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to behold

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Visit EddyMaxx's Facebook Visit EddyMaxx's PS3 Profile Visit EddyMaxx's YouTube
Default How to Install PAC SWI-X

1. Quick description before we start wiring the SWI-X .

The SWI-X 's wire color we are going to use is White. This is the White wire on the SWI-X , not the vehicle!

The other wires on the SWI-X , green, yellow, orange and blue wires are not used for your Nissan Maxima.

This leaves you with a Red, Black and two loop wires. These wires will be discussed down below.

2. Picture of the Nissan Maxima plug.
Click the image to open in full size.
The connector is viewed from the pin side not wire side.

3. Connecting the SWI-X 's steering wheel control input wire to vehicle plug.
Read the note in the chart below. These are the notes found in your instructions (note # 8) included with your SWI-X .

Wire colors are as follows:

2004-2005
Pin 12 Red/White
Pin 13 Green
Pin 14 Black/Red

Pin 12 White/Red
Pin 13 Green/Red
Pin 14 Red/Black

Note # 8: Plug is located in the AV Switch panel control module. This control module can be found by following the AV Switch panel harness into the dash. Connect a 150 ohm resistor to vehicle's pin 13 wire. Connect a 47 ohm resistor to vehicle's pin 12 wire. Connect remaining ends of resistor to the INTERFACE's white wire. Connect vehicle's pin 14 wire to chassis ground.

4. Connecting power and ground wires.
Black wire: Connect the SWI-X 's black wire to chassis ground. This is usually a black wire on the aftermarket wire kit.

Red wire: Connect the SWI-X 's red wire to a switched +12volt wire. This is usually a red wire on the aftermarket wire kit.

5. Instructions for cutting or not cutting loop wires.
Step A: The purple loop wire does not need to be cut.
Step B: The brown loop wire does not need to be cut.

6. Programming the SWI-X with a version number and 'IR' Mode.

The SWI-X has to be programmed for version # 3 and set for 'Standard IR' Mode.

A. Press and hold the Program Button on the SWI-X while turning on the vehicle to the accessory position. Both LED's will turn on.

B. Release the Program Button and both LED's will turn off and then they will turn on for 3 seconds. Wait for 3 seconds and both LED's will turn off.

C. Press the Program Button 3 times. Each time you press and release the Program Button, both LED's will turn on and off. Once you press the Program Button 3 times, wait for 3 seconds. The right LED will flash 3 times indicating it is programmed for version 3. If it flashes the wrong version number, you will have to start over at step 1 above in this section. Turn the key off.

D. Once you have programmed the correct version number, you will not have to do these steps again. If you need to reprogram the steering wheel control and wireless remote functions, you can go directly to the next section.

7. Programming the SWI-X to learn steering wheel controls and wireless remote functions.

A. Turn the key to the accessory position (you do not need to hold the Program Button at this time). The right LED will flash 3 times. This indicates it is programmed for version 3.

B. Press the Program Button until the LEFT LED turns on, then release the Program Button (This will erase all previous learned steering wheel controls and wireless remote functions). The SWI-X is now ready to learn a command from the steering wheel.

C. Press the Volume UP button on the steering wheel and hold the button. Wait until the LEFT LED turns off before you release the Program Button. Note: Please do not press and release the steering wheel button quickly! If you do not press any buttons on the steering wheel, the SWI-X will time out after 7 seconds, which will turn off the LEFT LED and end programming. If you missed some buttons, you will have to start all over and program from the first button. If the LEFT LED turns off and goes to the right LED without pressing the steering wheel buttons, then there is a wiring issue.

D. The right LED will turn on at this time, waiting to learn from the wireless remote. Note: You do not have a timeout period when the RIGHT LED is on. You can take your time here. However, make sure there is no fluorescent lights or sunlight in sight of the SWI-X other wise the RIGHT LED will turn off and go to the LEFT LED.

E. Press and hold the wireless remote Volume UP button while pointing the remote towards the SWI-X 's IR input. Wait until the RIGHT LED turns off before you release the button.

F. The LEFT LED will turn on.

G. From here you will do steps 3 through 6 again for each additional button to be programmed. So the next steering wheel button should be Volume DOWN and the wireless remote Volume DOWN. Note: The steering wheel buttons can be assigned any wireless remote function. So if you have for example a Program Button on the steering wheel, you can program it a 'Mute' function from the wireless remote.

H. Once you finish programming the steering wheel control buttons and wireless remote functions, the LEFT LED should be on. Wait for 7 seconds and both LEDS will flash 3 times. This indicates that the SWI-X has exited programming. The SWI-X 's RIGHT LED will flash 3 times and will be in 'Run Mode'.

8. Testing the SWI-X .

A. Hold or tape the Infrared LED (blue LED on black wire) to a surface so it is facing towards the aftermarket stereo. It must have a clear line of sight to the stereo. Try to minimize the angle as much as possible.
The best place to mount the LED: In the center console or overhead console (extending the LED wire may be required) and as far back as possible. Behind the domelight cover.
Bad places to mount the infrared LED: Do not mount the LED in stereo installation kit. Do not place LED where cups or other articles will block it. If at all possible, try not to mount where sunlight may shine on LED.

B. With the vehicle on, press a steering wheel button to control the stereo. The SWI-X should control the aftermarket stereo with what ever function you taught it. Test all other buttons.

C. If you have on or two buttons that do not work but the others do work, then there was a programming error. Please reprogram the SWI-X (Step 7 in previous section) until all buttons work.

D. Once all the buttons work correctly, you may permanently install the LED.

E. The black LED bezel is designed to be mounted from the front of the surface you are mounting the LED. The LED snaps in from behind, into the mounting bezel. Carefully remove the bezel form the LED and measure the diameter of it. Drill a hole the same diameter as the bezel into the mounting surface ( be careful that you don't drill a hole too big or the bezel will not stay in place). Feed the LED from behind through the hole and snap bezel onto LED. Snap the bezel into the hole. Be sure to run the LED wire to the mounting location without it interfering with final dash/panel assembly.

F. That's it! Enjoy!

6thgen 2014 Build Thread

Last edited by BLKMAGIC; 05-09-2010 at 10:11 PM.
EddyMaxx is offline   Send a private message to EddyMaxx Find more posts by EddyMaxx Add EddyMaxx to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2011, 02:15 PM   #2
Reputable Member

Official Member #: 1598

Reputation Level: 21
smittybizzle will become famous soon enough

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Re: How to Install PAC SWI-X

This souds a little hard do you have any pictures b/c I want to install mine soon .
smittybizzle is offline   Send a private message to smittybizzle Find more posts by smittybizzle Add smittybizzle to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2011, 02:29 PM   #3
Senior Citizen Moderator
6th Gen Official Pops

Official Member #: 2184

Reputation Level: 69
07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice

Participation Level: 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

My Awards:

/ Point Value: 5

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

/ Point Value: 10

Honorable Ride  

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

Originally Posted by smittybizzle View Post
This souds a little hard do you have any pictures b/c I want to install mine soon .
The hardest part is wiring up the resistors,other than that its not bad.

Originally Posted by dstruc View Post
Next week Omar is taking us walking through the projects. Alex is getting raped for sure.
07maximan is offline   Send a private message to 07maximan Find more posts by 07maximan Add 07maximan to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2011, 04:27 PM   #4
Senior Moderator

Official Member #: 63

Reputation Level: 58
1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

/ Point Value: 15

Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

Official Ride  

Originally Posted by 07maximan View Post
The hardest part is wiring up the resistors,other than that its not bad.
The resistors are easy, I soldered them onto the wires then attached a lead wire to each resistor, then I hit them with heat shrink, then just attached the wires!
Old 10-10-2011, 09:33 PM   #5

Official Member #: 3127

Reputation Level: 14
ESTEP_33 will become famous soon enough

Visit ESTEP_33's PS3 Profile Visit ESTEP_33's YouTube

The performance shop here couldn't even figure this out, I've had this since I bought my car in feb, I paid for a full HU install which was $250 but my pac-swi jack is still in the trunk. Shame on them or shame on me?? Lol
Old 10-10-2011, 10:57 PM   #6
Connecticut's Prestige 6th Gen

Official Member #: 82

Reputation Level: 25
CXJ Performance will become famous soon enoughCXJ Performance will become famous soon enough

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Honorable Ride  

ive never been able to hook mine up and just left it alone about 3 years now

Click the image to open in full size.
CXJ Performance is offline   Send a private message to CXJ Performance Find more posts by CXJ Performance Add CXJ Performance to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2011, 11:22 PM   #7
Reputable Member

Originally Posted by coryxavier View Post
ive never been able to hook mine up and just left it alone about 3 years now
Thats what I dont want to happen . When I installed my AVIC 900BT back in Feb I didnt wanna go through the time of the extra install . After my radio messed up and with me about to get it back from Pioneer in a few days I wand my steering wheel contols to work .
smittybizzle is offline   Send a private message to smittybizzle Find more posts by smittybizzle Add smittybizzle to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-11-2011, 06:40 AM   #8
Senior Moderator

1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Official Ride  

I had my PAC module installed in 20 minutes...it really wasn't that tough to do...
Old 10-11-2011, 09:42 PM   #9
Reputable Member

Ok mabey Iam just over thinking it . I read the directions and it said that we only use one wire so doe that mean we only need one resistor ? My HU came with a PAC SWI-PS the one with the new bluetooth controls for Pioneer . Also how do I know which resisors to use .
Old 10-11-2011, 09:56 PM   #10
Premier Member

Official Member #: 224

Reputation Level: 15
KZ 259 is on a distinguished road

what is this mod good for?
Old 10-12-2011, 12:15 AM   #11
Reputable Member

Originally Posted by KZ 259 View Post
what is this mod good for?
Its so you can use your steering wheel controls with an aftermarket HU .
Old 10-12-2011, 01:04 AM   #12
Team Street Wandererz

Official Member #: 2672

LucKie1nE will become famous soon enough

Visit LucKie1nE's PS3 Profile Visit LucKie1nE's YouTube Visit LucKie1nE's Xbox Gamercard

I did this mod back in late 08 early 09.. I wasn't too bad but nice write up Eddy..
LucKie1nE is offline   Send a private message to LucKie1nE Find more posts by LucKie1nE Add LucKie1nE to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2011, 06:27 AM   #13
Senior Moderator

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Official Ride  

Ok mabey Iam just over thinking it . I read the directions and it said that we only use one wire so doe that mean we only need one resistor ? My HU came with a PAC SWI-PS the one with the new bluetooth controls for Pioneer . Also how do I know which resisors to use .
It's all laid out in the instructions. The resistors are marked, and the instructions tell you which ones to use.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:12 AM   #14
Premier Member

Official Member #: 224

KZ 259 is on a distinguished road

Its so you can use your steering wheel controls with an aftermarket HU .
oh ok thanks
Old 10-12-2011, 08:53 AM   #15
Reputable Member

Originally Posted by 1hawaii50 View Post
It's all laid out in the instructions. The resistors are marked, and the instructions tell you which ones to use.
I got it now I just looked on the PAC website . The one I have was from a Charger so I will get one for the Max soon . I was was confused about the resistors but now I get the idea , they are used for different functions .
Old 10-13-2011, 12:00 PM   #16
Premier Member

Official Member #: 76

Reputation Level: 17
jsmithsole is on a distinguished road

My Awards:
Guinness Record Holder  

Banner of The Month  

When I had a HU installed way back the shop spent hours and couldn't figure it out. Down the road I took the directions and went step by step and got it to work. It's cool that you can customize buttons, I had the mode button work as a mute. But then it stopped working one day, weird.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:08 PM   #17
Executive Member

Official Member #: 1924

Reputation Level: 24
Latinmaxima is on a distinguished road

Visit Latinmaxima's Facebook Visit Latinmaxima's PS3 Profile Visit Latinmaxima's YouTube Visit Latinmaxima's Xbox Gamercard

Definitely plan on going this route with my new head unit next year.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:14 PM   #18

Official Member #: 861

Reputation Level: 0
afdj006 is an unknown quantity at this point

Was looking at installing my PAC SWI-PS, but wasn't about to cut and solder resistors to the wrong wires. Is the connector on the Maxima we are suppose to use the connector under the steering wheel in the very bootom of the dash? The part where you would hook a consult cable to?
afdj006 is offline   Send a private message to afdj006 Find more posts by afdj006 Add afdj006 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-03-2011, 09:08 AM   #19

Official Member #: 861

Reputation Level: 0
afdj006 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by afdj006 View Post
Was looking at installing my PAC SWI-PS, but wasn't about to cut and solder resistors to the wrong wires. Is the connector on the Maxima we are suppose to use under the steering wheel in the very boytom of the dash? The part where you would hook a consult cable to for diagnostics?
Anyone?
afdj006 is offline   Send a private message to afdj006 Find more posts by afdj006 Add afdj006 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-03-2011, 10:11 AM   #20
Senior Moderator

Official Member #: 140

Reputation Level: 51
Chemax has a spectacular aura aboutChemax has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

I don't have any experience with that dude.

Bump for info!

mmm.... chorizo
-csiepka
Chemax is offline   Send a private message to Chemax Find more posts by Chemax Add Chemax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-03-2011, 03:53 PM   #21
Senior Moderator

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Official Ride  

Sorry for the delay, meant to chime in earlier, but got busy...you use the main radio harness with the white plug. Don't mess with the main harness under the steering wheel.
Old 05-27-2012, 05:56 PM   #22
Reputable Member

Sorry for the bump but I installed mine today very easy . @ 1hawaii50 you were right it took very little time the hardest part to me was programing the functions .

Tags
pac swi-x

Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > How To's & DIY Mods > Audio, Video & Electronics