Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > How To's & DIY Mods > Audio, Video & Electronics

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 11-17-2011, 02:25 AM   Thread Starter #1
Official Member
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 301

Reputation Level: 11
deep007 is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

My Awards:
Official Ride  

/ Point Value: 10

Default How To Install Axxess Interface-Steering Wheel Control

This is for 07-08 maxima only.
1) Connect the Black wire of the ASWC to ground. You may use the same grounding point as the aftermarket radio.

2) Connect the Red wire of the ASWC to a 12 volt accessory wire, one that turns on and off with the ignition key.

3) Connect the Gray/Red wire of the ASWC to pin 6 of the vehicle. Below is a picture of what the connector in the vehicle looks like:

Click the image to open in full size.
This is the pin view of the connector in the vehicle

4) Connect the White/Green wire of the to pin 16 of the vehicle.

5) Connect pin 15 of the vehicles harness to Ground.

6) All other wires on the ASWC please tape up, they will not be used.

Aftermarket Radio Connection
If you are using an Eclipse or Kenwood radio, plug the female 3.5mm connector with the Brown and Brown/White wires into the male 3.5mm connector of the ASWC harness.

* For Kenwood radios or JVC’s with the Blue yellow wire: Connect the Kenwood/JVC SWC wire (normally Blue/Yellow) to the Brown wire of the ASWC. Isolate and tape the Brown/White wire, it will not be used.

* For Eclipse radios: Connect the Eclipse SWC wires (Normally Brown and Brown/Black) to the Brown and Brown/White wires of the ASWC. Brown goes to Brown and Brown/White goes to Brown/Black.
For all other radios, plug in the male 3.5mm connector of the ASWC into the back of the aftermarket radio, designated for an external SWC control interface. Please refer to the aftermarket radios manual if you are in doubt where the 3.5mm connector of the ASWC goes.

Once all connections have been made, plug in the aftermarket radio if not done already.
* If this is the first time the ASWC is being installed:

1) Turn the ignition on; the led will start flashing rapidly which means the ASWC is looking for the vehicle and the radio. Go to step 3.

OR

* If the ASWC was installed before:
1) Turn the ignition on, the led will flash slowly
2) Hold down the reset button for more then 2 seconds but less then 10 seconds, the led will start flashing rapidly
3) Push and hold the Volume Up button.

4) After a couple of seconds the led should stop flashing and not light up for 2 seconds. At this point do not push any buttons.
5) After the 2 seconds there will be a series of 7 flashes, some short and some long.
6) The led will pause for another 2 seconds then flash up to 9 times.
7) This is the end of the auto detection stage. If the ASWC detected the vehicle and the radio successfully the led will light up solid red.
8) Make sure the steering wheel control buttons function correctly in the vehicle and enjoy your radio.
So what if the led does not light up solid red or the steering wheel controls do not function properly? Check out troubleshooting section below.

Troubleshooting the Auto Detect Mode
So you tried the auto detect feature and at the end the led did not stay on solid red, it started flashing, or the steering wheel controls did not function properly. That means the ASWC did not detect the vehicle or the proper radio. Follow these steps to determine what happened:
First some basic tips:

1) Verify that you have 12 volt accessory and a good ground to the ASWC.
2) Verify with the vehicle information sheet on the Axxess website that you connected the correct steering wheel control wire(s) in the vehicle to the correct wire(s) on the ASWC.
3) Verify that the 3.5mm connector is connected to your radio securely and in the correct location.
4) If using the female 3.5mm connector on an Eclipse or Kenwood radio, verify that the radio’s SWC wire is connected to the correct wire on the ASWC.
Once all the information above has been verified and correct, you will need to put the ASWC back into auto-detect mode. Follow the instructions from “If the ASWC was installed before” section above, however this time take notice of the led flashes in steps 5 and 6. Here is what the flashes stand for:
LED Feedback

The 1st series of led flashes represent the wire(s) that are connected to the vehicle from the ASWC.
Short flashes represent the steering wheel control wire(s) that are not connected to the vehicle
Long flashes represent the wire(s) that are connected to the vehicle
1st led flash is the White/Green wire on the ASWC
2nd led flash is the Orange/Green wire on the ASWC
3rd led flash is the Green/Orange wire on the ASWC
4th led flash is the Gray/Red wire on the ASWC
5th led flash is the Black/Green wire on the ASWC
6th led flash is the Gray/Blue wire on the ASWC
7th led flash is the Pink wire on the ASWC

If during the auto detect sequence there was no long led flash, just short ones, the ASWC was not connected to the correct wire in the vehicle or the incorrect wire was used on the ASWC. Double check connections and the vehicle information sheet to verify that you have the correct wires connected.
The 2nd set of led flashes represents what brand radio the ASWC believes it is connected to. Each flash is for a different radio manufacturer. For example if you are installing a JVC radio the ASWC should blink 5 times.

1st led flash is for Eclipse
2nd led flash is for Kenwood
3rd led flash is for Clarion
4th led flash is for Sony and Dual
5th led flash is for JVC
6th led flash is for Pioneer and Jensen 7th led flash is for Alpine*
8th led flash is for Visteon
9th led flash is for Valor
10th led flash is for Clarion 5v
* Note: If the ASWC flashes 7 times and you do not have an Alpine radio connected to it that means that the ASWC did not see any radio connected. Verify the 3.5mm connector is connected to the SWC input on the radio.

Last edited by deep007; 11-17-2011 at 02:28 AM.
dres5600 (01-30-2012), Mr DoLLa (01-10-2013)
deep007 is offline   Send a private message to deep007 Find more posts by deep007 Add deep007 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2011, 08:50 PM   #2
Senior Moderator

Official Member #: 63

Reputation Level: 58
1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

V.I.P Member  

/ Point Value: 15

Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

/ Point Value: 5

Official Ride  

Default Re: How to install Axxess Interface-steering wheel control

You get a sticky, my friend! Good job!!!
Old 11-17-2011, 10:51 PM   #3
Premier Member

Official Member #: 11

Reputation Level: 41
CleanMaxx has a spectacular aura aboutCleanMaxx has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
V.I.P Member  

/ Point Value: 15

Honorable Ride  

Visit CleanMaxx's Twitter Visit CleanMaxx's YouTube
Default Re: How To Install Axxess Interface-Steering Wheel Control

Title fixed
Old 01-22-2012, 01:22 AM   #4

Official Member #: 3290

Reputation Level: 8
328driver is an unknown quantity at this point

O.k., new to this....in step 5 do I take the wire that comes off of pin 15 on the vehicle harness and tap a wire off of it to the vehicle ground? Thx for the help
328driver is offline   Send a private message to 328driver Find more posts by 328driver Add 328driver to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2012, 11:52 AM   #5
Premier Member

Official Member #: 738

Reputation Level: 12
DViious is on a distinguished road

Don't tap it you gotta cut it and ground it I tapped mines and it didn't work you have to cut it for some odd reason...

R.I.P BISHNU - SECONDTONONE317

TOPSPEED PRO-1 PERFORMANCE SPONSORED

http://stores.ebay.com/TOP-SPEED-PRO-1-PERFORMANCE
DViious is offline   Send a private message to DViious Find more posts by DViious Add DViious to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2012, 03:59 PM   #6
Premier Member

Official Member #: 89

Reputation Level: 44
DAlastDON is a jewel in the roughDAlastDON is a jewel in the roughDAlastDON is a jewel in the roughDAlastDON is a jewel in the rough

My Awards:

Banner of The Month  

Originally Posted by 328driver View Post
O.k., new to this....in step 5 do I take the wire that comes off of pin 15 on the vehicle harness and tap a wire off of it to the vehicle ground? Thx for the help
Yes. Make sure it is a good ground. The big metal pipe in there, i thought was a good place to ground everything. After a few winters of my steering wheel controls working intermittently when i use the defroster i have come to realize that it may not have been as an idea place as i previously thought. The reason it is not such a good ground is that the temperature changes dramatically from when the steering wheel interface was programmed. The heat flowing through the pipe to the defrost ducts makes the resistance of the grounding properties increase as it gets hotter. Causes the steering wheel interface to send the wrong voltage to the radio for that particular function. It causes my steering wheel buttons to either not work or do the wrong function.

One of these days i will go back in there and relocate the ground and bypass the video lockout but i haven't gotten too irritated by using the controls on the radio from time to time.

Originally Posted by DViious View Post
Don't tap it you gotta cut it and ground it I tapped mines and it didn't work you have to cut it for some odd reason...
You did not get your scotch lock seated on there correctly. Probably using one that is just small enough to pierce the jacket on the wire but not make a secure connection to the wire inside(blue one). The red ones work much better than the blue one's with the size the wiring that is used in the max.

Inside Peanutbutter Outside Jelly
DAlastDON is offline   Send a private message to DAlastDON Find more posts by DAlastDON Add DAlastDON to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2012, 09:26 PM   #7
Premier Member

Originally Posted by DAlastDON View Post
Yes. Make sure it is a good ground. The big metal pipe in there, i thought was a good place to ground everything. After a few winters of my steering wheel controls working intermittently when i use the defroster i have come to realize that it may not have been as an idea place as i previously thought. The reason it is not such a good ground is that the temperature changes dramatically from when the steering wheel interface was programmed. The heat flowing through the pipe to the defrost ducts makes the resistance of the grounding properties increase as it gets hotter. Causes the steering wheel interface to send the wrong voltage to the radio for that particular function. It causes my steering wheel buttons to either not work or do the wrong function.

One of these days i will go back in there and relocate the ground and bypass the video lockout but i haven't gotten too irritated by using the controls on the radio from time to time.

You did not get your scotch lock seated on there correctly. Probably using one that is just small enough to pierce the jacket on the wire but not make a secure connection to the wire inside(blue one). The red ones work much better than the blue one's with the size the wiring that is used in the max.
no i actually tapped it good also i stripped it aswell and it still didnt work for some odd reason when i cut it and grounded it it started working

DViious is offline   Send a private message to DViious Find more posts by DViious Add DViious to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2012, 12:05 AM   #8
Premier Member

Official Member #: 89

Reputation Level: 44
DAlastDON is a jewel in the roughDAlastDON is a jewel in the roughDAlastDON is a jewel in the roughDAlastDON is a jewel in the rough

My Awards:

Banner of The Month  

That is weird. I did not examine that closely if the aftermarket harness even had anything connect to that particular wire.

It shouldn't have since it does not have any purpose to go directly to the aftermarket radio. It shouldn't even have a wire on aftermarket harness side. Something could have been shorted on either the factory connector or the aftermarket harness connectors where they plugged into one another. I have seen worse issues with aftermarket connectors. Like the ground and power going through the speaker connections on the aftermarket harness. I always verify before i connect anything and caught it on the aftermarket radio harness i used on a neon. Found it while probing what i thought were the power lines. The speaker lines grounded out and sparked.

Inside Peanutbutter Outside Jelly
DAlastDON is offline   Send a private message to DAlastDON Find more posts by DAlastDON Add DAlastDON to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2012, 04:19 PM   #9
Premier Member

Originally Posted by DAlastDON View Post
That is weird. I did not examine that closely if the aftermarket harness even had anything connect to that particular wire.

It shouldn't have since it does not have any purpose to go directly to the aftermarket radio. It shouldn't even have a wire on aftermarket harness side. Something could have been shorted on either the factory connector or the aftermarket harness connectors where they plugged into one another. I have seen worse issues with aftermarket connectors. Like the ground and power going through the speaker connections on the aftermarket harness. I always verify before i connect anything and caught it on the aftermarket radio harness i used on a neon. Found it while probing what i thought were the power lines. The speaker lines grounded out and sparked.
strange hmmm ill try connecting them back and see what happens

Old 04-03-2012, 04:07 PM   #10

Official Member #: 3290

328driver is an unknown quantity at this point

Installed a kenwood receiver and the Nird-01 interface...when I push the answer button on the steering wheel it cuts power to the radio. Any ideas? Reason Im trying to figure it out is because im trying to install the ASWC but cant get it to do anything....
328driver is offline   Send a private message to 328driver Find more posts by 328driver Add 328driver to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 07-23-2012, 12:50 PM   #11

Official Member #: 2111

Reputation Level: 0
trobl3 is an unknown quantity at this point

ok for the 07-08 maximas when is says vehicle harness what are they refering to?
trobl3 is offline   Send a private message to trobl3 Find more posts by trobl3 Add trobl3 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-21-2012, 02:15 AM   #12

Official Member #: 6123

spiritman is an unknown quantity at this point

I going to solder the wires in the morning. Before I start cutting wires, I want to verify this is the correct plug.

spiritman is offline   Send a private message to spiritman Find more posts by spiritman Add spiritman to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-21-2012, 03:31 AM   #13
Official Member

Official Member #: 3079

Jony09 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spiritman View Post
I going to solder the wires in the morning. Before I start cutting wires, I want to verify this is the correct plug.

Yep correct one

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide
Jony09 is offline   Send a private message to Jony09 Find more posts by Jony09 Add Jony09 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 12-04-2012, 02:48 AM   #14

Official Member #: 2111

trobl3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spiritman View Post

Where was that plug located?
trobl3 is offline   Send a private message to trobl3 Find more posts by trobl3 Add trobl3 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top