Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > How To's & DIY Mods > Audio, Video & Electronics

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:12 AM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 16619

Reputation Level: 0
mark.canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Ditching the info screen COMPLETELY, keeping functionality

Hey guys,

I've recently picked up a maxima and for someone in my demographic/income bracket, I've gotta say I love just about everything about it. Moved from a manual sunfire to an almost loaded maxima and it's night and day.

But yeah that screen... it screams 1990's tech pretty loudly, and I'm sort of into the slightly more current stuff, preferably with some bluetooth, a hint of navigation, and maybe a couple extra features here and there.

So now that I'm going the extra mile and spending almost 400 on a stereo system that has Android built into it, I was wondering if instead of just switching it to the bottom and hoping nobody ever looks at it again, maybe I can look into getting rid of the eyesore for good.

Problem is, without taking the thing apart and potentially using oscilliscopes and other fancy electronic equipment I don't have money for and wouldn't know how to read, I don't know how data is transmitted from the "microcontroller/computer" part of the car to the screen itself.

Does anyone have any insight into this? My best guesses so far is that there is SOME basic data processing that is done INSIDE the screen unit itself, because they'd also need to have the same data going to that or the optional nav unit and interpreted in their own ways on either device. This is the more hopeful option from the way I see it, albeit more of a science project and bragging rights than anything.

I can't be THAT crazy - I'm hoping there might be a couple electrical engineers out there or people who might know a little more about signal processing than me who'd be up for a little bit of a challenge.

If you're out there... hope to hear from you soon!
mark.canada is offline   Send a private message to mark.canada Find more posts by mark.canada Add mark.canada to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-20-2015, 07:38 PM   #2
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 16595

Reputation Level: 5
KatIsFast is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Re: Ditching the info screen COMPLETELY, keeping functionality

Originally Posted by mark.canada View Post
Hey guys,

I've recently picked up a maxima and for someone in my demographic/income bracket, I've gotta say I love just about everything about it. Moved from a manual sunfire to an almost loaded maxima and it's night and day.

But yeah that screen... it screams 1990's tech pretty loudly, and I'm sort of into the slightly more current stuff, preferably with some bluetooth, a hint of navigation, and maybe a couple extra features here and there.

So now that I'm going the extra mile and spending almost 400 on a stereo system that has Android built into it, I was wondering if instead of just switching it to the bottom and hoping nobody ever looks at it again, maybe I can look into getting rid of the eyesore for good.

Problem is, without taking the thing apart and potentially using oscilliscopes and other fancy electronic equipment I don't have money for and wouldn't know how to read, I don't know how data is transmitted from the "microcontroller/computer" part of the car to the screen itself.

Does anyone have any insight into this? My best guesses so far is that there is SOME basic data processing that is done INSIDE the screen unit itself, because they'd also need to have the same data going to that or the optional nav unit and interpreted in their own ways on either device. This is the more hopeful option from the way I see it, albeit more of a science project and bragging rights than anything.

I can't be THAT crazy - I'm hoping there might be a couple electrical engineers out there or people who might know a little more about signal processing than me who'd be up for a little bit of a challenge.

If you're out there... hope to hear from you soon!
I've seen posts on other forums where people have switched out the old school orange display for colored ones (non nav) so I'm sure what you're looking to do is possible, just not very cost effective perhaps. Also if you replace that screen with something non oem you'll lose functions like fuel economy, DTE, and maintenance displays.

You can always put the new head unit up there and move that screen down lower to keep the functionality.
KatIsFast is offline   Send a private message to KatIsFast Find more posts by KatIsFast Add KatIsFast to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top

Tags
computer, head unit, navigation, removal, screen, wiring

Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > How To's & DIY Mods > Audio, Video & Electronics